Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,698,168 times

Advertisements

"Used books can sometimes smell musty. Used clothes sometimes don’t seem perfectly clean. The same goes with used dishes and countless other items. The amazing thing, though, is that things can actually be cleaned really easily.

Five challenges of buying used – and how to overcome them - CSMonitor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 08:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
I will buy used cookware, plates, cups, utensils, etc...but oddly enough I am not a huge fan of secondhand clothing. The item has to be really unique and super clean for me to buy it. I know how I funk up clothing after a year or two, I do not imagine others are any different...

Old 05-29-2010, 09:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,124,004 times
Errr...Uhm, even if I buy something new and use it once...it's USED.

Logically, it doesn't matter if I use it first or someone else does, provided the item can be washed or sanitized.

What about things one inherits ? Are you really going to toss Granny's Baccarat or Auntie's Pratesi because it's "used"? Please.

There are still some psychological barriers . For me these are "personal items" (e.g. socks, underwear) and upholstered furniture from unknown sources (they could be smokers?).

Other than that, it's pretty much "game on". I love old stuff. I hate waste.

People who wouldn't buy used plates/utensils/linen probably should refrain from eating in restaurants and staying in hotels as well.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:03 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,008,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
There are still some psychological barriers . For me these are "personal items" (e.g. socks, underwear) and upholstered furniture from unknown sources (they could be smokers?).
Or they might have had a cat or dog that liked to mark the couch.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
What about things one inherits ? Are you really going to toss Granny's Baccarat or Auntie's Pratesi because it's "used"? Please.
My engagement ring was a gorgeous huge ruby in a beautiful setting that had belonged to his great great grandmother and handed down in the family.

All my friends were appalled I had a used ring. The "used" aspect was far worse that the fact it wasn't a diamond.

But I have to say -- I don't like used fabric stuff either. Upholstery or clothing...

Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,376,342 times
I'm always amazed that people look down on "used" but call it an antique or collectible then everyone is all over it. Then who cares that it was someone elses possession first as now it's somehow a better item while it's still used.
I do buy some items used but for me it's the hunt of finding the bargain.
Picked up great home furnishing items from serving pieces to candlesticks for very few pennies.

In my area there are a few great consignment shops, thirft stores and the like. So I will check them out and look to see what's there.
I admit I'm a pushover for good handbags/purses so this is an area I always check out.
Over the past year I've scored amazing finds from Burberry to Coach and Kate Spade. And I've never paid over $4 and they must be in excellent condition which to me means clean, no scratches and no odors.
So I say go and hunt down your deals they are there to be found.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
When I was starting out I was happy to take used kitchen goods, used plates/knives/forks/etc., used wooden furniture, etc. I generally don't want used clothing or upholstered goods because it can be hard to wash the previous stains/smells out of them. I do own some vintage clothing but I am pretty picky about what I have in that respect; most of my vintage clothing came from family members and is very clean. One thing I will NEVER buy used is a pair of shoes.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 PM

214 posts, read 758,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
When I was starting out I was happy to take used kitchen goods, used plates/knives/forks/etc., used wooden furniture, etc. I generally don't want used clothing or upholstered goods because it can be hard to wash the previous stains/smells out of them. I do own some vintage clothing but I am pretty picky about what I have in that respect; most of my vintage clothing came from family members and is very clean. One thing I will NEVER buy used is a pair of shoes.
I used to be in that boat with shoes, but a recent trip to a thrift store in Omaha completely changed my view. I never really gave the shoe section so much as a passing glance in the past, but this time I ventured over there and found the most amazing Brazilian leather oxfords with virtually no wear whatsoever. Super clean. Amazing condition. 99 cents! Personally, I wear everything I own until it sprouts holes and do not buy new clothing unless I am in dire need or it is practically free, and am amazed by the cleanliness of some of the items that people GIVE to thrift stores. NUTS! But I love it!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:06 AM

232 posts, read 542,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
I used to be in that boat with shoes, but a recent trip to a thrift store in Omaha completely changed my view. I never really gave the shoe section so much as a passing glance in the past, but this time I ventured over there and found the most amazing Brazilian leather oxfords with virtually no wear whatsoever. Super clean. Amazing condition. 99 cents! Personally, I wear everything I own until it sprouts holes and do not buy new clothing unless I am in dire need or it is practically free, and am amazed by the cleanliness of some of the items that people GIVE to thrift stores. NUTS! But I love it!
The clothing I have given to charity thrift shops has all been clothing in excellent condition. I'm not a perfect-size-anything, so I donate clothes if I found that they just don't fit right and it is not possible (or practical) to return or alter the item. I don't donate worn clothing, if I can still get some use out of it, I wear it until it wears out.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 PM

16,400 posts, read 30,321,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
90% of the shoes that my wife has purchased at me at the thrift stores are less than 10% worn and look pretty darned new to me. A little polish and a quick spray and they are ready to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living