Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:13 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times

Advertisements

In spite of the humidity and plenty of rain to create standing water I seem to have a bit less mosquitoes than I did last year... either that or I'm becoming immune to their bite. LOL They never stop being active, though they seem to bite less when I'm out at 7AM.

The White nose syndrome has reached the state but I don't think we have less bats, yet. The big difference has been an upswing in the number of nesting purple martins, barn swallows, bluebirds and other birds. If you worry about rabies- birds don't carry it. Create habitats for them (trees, bushes and birdhouses) and they'll stay and hunt for bugs and flies. Dragonflies require a similar habitat (wetland or moist are for the young to develop) and eat mosquitoes and their larvae.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 02:30 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,420 times
We have a pond and we see dragonflies all the time. I love seeing them. I talk to them (because I'm insane) and encourage them to eat "those skeeters". My husband and I will have to look into relocating some birdhouses and buying some bat houses. Are there any flowers or plants that encourage bats, birds and/or dragonflies?

Old 06-18-2010, 02:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
I thought that purple martins were helpful for eating mosquitoes but they really aren't--that is old wives' tale as they say
because birds are out mainly when mosquitos are dormant

areas should do public actions to get rid of mosquito habitats--like standing water environs--like China did to get rid of the house fly--
China put a bounty on flies and made people responsible for turning in so many per day or they got in trouble with their ward leaders back then...
dont think we need to go that far but when you consider that mosquitos an travel a mile or more searching for their food--then entire areas become breeding grounds--not just YOUR backyard...

Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
We have a pond and we see dragonflies all the time. I love seeing them. I talk to them (because I'm insane) and encourage them to eat "those skeeters". My husband and I will have to look into relocating some birdhouses and buying some bat houses. Are there any flowers or plants that encourage bats, birds and/or dragonflies?

Uh, I talk to the bugs, butterflies and hummingbirds plus all of my plants. That's not insane, is it? I saw a big swallowtail in my alley the other day and I told it to fly over the fence to my backyard, but I don't think it understood English.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:27 AM

433 posts, read 1,142,712 times
I don't think it's crazy talking to things either. And if I want an intelligent conversation I will talk to myself and I am serious about this not just jesting.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:31 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,420 times
Good to see I'm not alone! I'm in good company!

Old 06-19-2010, 12:36 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
I don't talk to things, bugs or plants very often but you should have seen me yelling at a pair of mockingbird's yesterday. I could not go 2 feet in my front yard garden area without one or the other physically attacking me. They have a nest in one of the cherry trees out near there and have been protective of that but this was much more so than before. They actually seemed to conference and then come in from 2 sides at times. You haven't lived until you've been hit on the back by these kamikazes! Well I finally figured out what they were so obsessed about after turning the hose on them whenever they got close. One of the babies had fallen/jumped out and was hiding under one of my plants. Sometime this morning it and its nest mate(s) must have finally left the front yard because now they are guarding an area further away.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Lower Sugarloaf Key, FL - Perky's Bat Tower

Didn't work so hot for this guy. Bats still don't live there.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 672 times
Less than 1 percent of bats get rabies and they die from it . If bats were as prone to rabies as some people think , caves could not have anywhere from 40,000 bats (gray bats ) to 20 million ( Mexican free tails )'colonies without spreading it to each other . Rabies and bats are not the problem . Ignorance and urban legends are the problem . Bats are the greatest insect control mechanism with birds being second . We need to protect them not villify them . I have a bat house in my back yard with 60 bats . It took three years to get them and they make a difference . As someone said, hummingbirds are a big help as well . Their main diet is mosquitoes, bats, and small spiders . Nectar is their energy source not the protein and minerals they need . If you are interested in bat houses , search the internet for Bat House Builders Handbook and download the PDF file. This is all you need to get started .

Old 09-18-2017, 03:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxymo View Post
Less than 1 percent of bats get rabies and they die from it . If bats were as prone to rabies as some people think , caves could not have anywhere from 40,000 bats (gray bats ) to 20 million ( Mexican free tails )'colonies without spreading it to each other . Rabies and bats are not the problem . Ignorance and urban legends are the problem . Bats are the greatest insect control mechanism with birds being second . We need to protect them not villify them . I have a bat house in my back yard with 60 bats . It took three years to get them and they make a difference . As someone said, hummingbirds are a big help as well . Their main diet is mosquitoes, bats, and small spiders . Nectar is their energy source not the protein and minerals they need . If you are interested in bat houses , search the internet for Bat House Builders Handbook and download the PDF file. This is all you need to get started .

fine, maybe the rabies thing is overblown but there's no denying that bats and vampires are closely associated with each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden