Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I was going to say "Magic Lily" from a book I am still reading. I remembered it only because it was on my list for purchase in the fall. It turns out magic lily is another name for the Resurrection Lily which North Beach Person already guessed. The only thing that makes me unsure is that while the bloom time and appearance of the flowers are all OK it isn't supposed to have leaves right now, just the stem with flowers.

Surprise Lily, Magic Lily, or Naked Lady - Plant of the Week
According to the first link: "The flowers are sterile and do not develop seed pods."

These plants put off seed pods and seeds that take root, resulting in additional plants every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:32 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
I just finished another chapter in the book on bulbs and turned the page to see what was next and there were Amaryllis like plants so I had to keep going and I think I found your plant!!! Since it appears to have leaves it probably isn't the Magic Lily although it looks like it. The "out of no where" comment for resurrection/magic lily comes from the fact that the leaves die back in the late spring (like daffodils) and then suddenly a stalk with just the flowers appears, as if by magic.

After looking at the pictures and description in the book it looks like a St. Joseph's lily, which is a form of Amaryllis as several people guessed. It does set seed which they recommend you plant right away because they don't "keep" well. I tried to find the exact variety but none matched exactly. The latin name would be hippeastrum.

The other choices would be some forms lycoris and Zephyranthes (rain lily) which looks very similar to the flower but am not sure of bloom time and leaves match. After looking at dozens of pictures I am still not sure but figure it might be easier for you to match to what you have. Z grandjax looks most similar to your flower if you look at the bottom of this page:

Rain Lily

Whatever it is... it is gorgeous! It must be great to have something that seeds itself and isn't a weed!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:34 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
I can't tell you for sure what it is, but I can tell you for sure what it "ain't" out of all the possibilities that have been given.

It's not a daylily. It's not surprise, magic, resurrection lily or naked lady (the leaves and flowers are never present at the same time with these). It's not lycoris. I don't have any personal experience with rain lilies, but from those pictures, the leaves don't look right.

The leaves look like amaryllis leaves to me.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:20 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Mrs. NBP thinks it is a crinum.

Crinum

http://www.southernliving.com/home-g...0400000010591/

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-16-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 PM

I didn't realize my link to Hippeastrum and the final right flower didn't "take" so my post wasn't exactly enlightening. Sorry! Next time I'll remember to proof read and double check.

Mrs. NBP is a smart lady. I looked at tons of crinums, too, since they were in the book I've been reading and Iluvarkansas had mentioned them. Some were similar but according to 3 or 4 sources I looked at many do not set seed readily which Fontucky said her plants do. The green center of the flower and the curved anthers also were not quite right for the crinums that had the same coloring otherwise. The little points on the petals, however match with several varieties of crinum!!

Hippeastrum fits the bill for foliage, seed setting and several of the pink varieties have that same greenish central throat. If you look at the following the plants look very close, especially the light pink ones.

Tropical emptations (http://www.tropicaltemptations.eu/plants.html - broken link) (click on any of the three pink varieties half way down to see a larger view) ......but something was still not right.

None of the flowers in any pictures available on line fit exactly and something about the way the flowers came out of the stem at the top was never quite right. The leaves were also hard to match with anything we've guessed at. Then I came across some "crosses" between all of the various answers we all have given and that is where I found the plant!!! It is a cross between a Hippeastrum( beladonna) and crinum, called a Crinodanna Lily. LOL

Dave's garden has a good page complete with pictures and reference to seeds for the plant. PlantFiles: Detailed information on Crinodonna Lily X Amarcrinum memoria-corsii

Everything looks right this time. What do you say Fontuckey?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 PM

Oh yeah, crinums.....I should have thought of that, because the reason I just can't like crinums is because the leaves are always so ugly this time of year. I think you've found the answer, J&Em!

The only crinum I've ever seen that I wanted to try in my yard was this one:

PDN -- Crinum 'White Queen'

Old 07-17-2010, 06:15 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times
Yep. Crinum.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:00 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I'm still leaning towards Amaryllis.

The leaves on these plants at this time of year are uuuuuugly.

The blooms are popping out all over this place in the past couple of days. Very nice odor out there. I would like to thank everyone for the time they've taken on this. I really do appreciate it.

P.S. Fontucky is a bearded hairy he.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 PM

Crinum is in the amaryllis family. I just found this out because I was looking at the July 2010 Southern Living magazine this morning, and there is an article in it about crinums.....also a picture of some that look just like Fontucky's!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Crinum is in the amaryllis family. I just found this out because I was looking at the July 2010 Southern Living magazine this morning, and there is an article in it about crinums.....also a picture of some that look just like Fontucky's!

Thanks for the explanation because I appear to stink at being clear. ALL of the plants mentioned are in the Amaryllis family, and the last one the "Crinadonna" is a cross between amaryllis family plants, one of which is a Crinum and the other is the amaryllis belladonna (aka Belladonna lily). It's why it was so hard to identify: it had parts that looked like different "relatives" in the amaryllis plant family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm still leaning towards Amaryllis.

The leaves on these plants at this time of year are uuuuuugly.

The blooms are popping out all over this place in the past couple of days. Very nice odor out there. I would like to thank everyone for the time they've taken on this. I really do appreciate it.

P.S. Fontucky is a bearded hairy he.
I'm sooo sorry. I usually get steamed when someone assumes I am a he. The masculine hand in picture 2 should have been the tip off, but I assumed it was the helpful hubby type hands. Apologies!

They said in all the descriptions that the Crinadonna smells good.... you do realize I have to get one for myself after all this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden