Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 04:58 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,528,475 times

Advertisements

Pomegranates (not pomergranates lol) are pretty trees and they have great fruit.

Most common and in stores is Wonderful.

Ambrosia is perhaps more tasty and ripens earlier.

Grenada supposedly does well on coasts and in salty air -its the largest pomegranate. Anyone know whether that is true about the salt ability?

There are many other varieties Double Bloom, Dwarfs, Eversweet, Satin, velvet, Russian.

There are conflicting reports about what fertilizer to use. Some recommend one high in nitrogen others do not. I've seen anything from 1/2 lb per year for newer trees to 2 lbs per new tree.

Anyone else know about these great fruit plants?

Last edited by ocean2026; 09-13-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,956,329 times
I love pomegranates and am currently trying to find out if the Russian variety will survive in Zone 2-3, and if there is a hardy rootstock that I could graft pomegranate onto if it isn't naturally cold hardy enough for us.

I do know that the dwarf varieties will cultivate well in large pots, and do fairly well in greenhouses and sunrooms in cooler climates, but they may not fruit as well indoors. Still lovely shrubs/trees in any case. I have heard they are somewhat heavy feeders and like a bit extra lime. Supposedly, if you can grow quince in your soils, you should be able to grow pommies... but I can't confirm this.

Pomegranate is also chock full of antioxidants and makes a wonderful addition to many fruit juices and jams. Not too sweet and not too tart. They're great fresh, but some people object to the seeds.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 PM

My guess is the Russian variety would do well there. If they really are from Russia - much of that country is in the colder zones.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,733,576 times
I have a Pomegranate in my garden. It's a Gulosha Rosavaya variety and has lovely juicy and sweet fruit with just a touch of acidity. The Gulosha Azerbaijani is another good variety but I'm not sure about the Zones where you are. Here in Perth, it's almost the perfect meditteranean climate for such trees.

I mulch mine with a good layer of manure and compost during the winter - how much? Hmmm, about a regular bag's worth, if that helps (sorry for not being more scientific ). The tree is 7 years old. Just got over its young, spindly stage and gave me about a dozen fruit last season. It's Spring here and it's got those lovely young leaves now that look so gorgeous in the sunlight. The flowers are spectacular.

I'll lightly feed it the rest of the year, adding more manure & any compost I've got ready. It does like a slightly alkaline soil so I add lime once a year too. Our soil (sand) is also missing in zinc and manganese so I give everything a dose of that a couple times a year.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:53 PM

963 posts, read 2,413,316 times
I get conflicting reports about growing them in North Carolina - I've heard that they will grow (with a bit of work), but tend to not want to set fruit. I've considered growing them as large container plants. Either way, I'd love to have one.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:05 PM

David -Dwarfs would grow in container and if fertilized I don't know why they wouldn't have fruit. Best grown in the yard NC is a fine climate for at least some varieties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden