Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:59 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Wow that is expensive, I saw 3 seedlings on eBay for $7 though, they grow fast enough too.

Idk why I just can't get one, I don't need 3.

I read somewhere an old saying, if anyone else know it and I say it wrong, well..... wouldn't be the first time

one to grow
one for the crow
and one to feed the earth

It's probably not the exact saying, possibly not even close, but anyway, the point stuck with me. I try (sometimes it's just not feasable(sp)) to do two-three seeds/bulbs/whatever just in case one or two dies on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I don't have it as bad is someone in MN, but I occupy myself by monitoring the temp and deciding whether or not to cover or uncover my palm tree, which I should have not planted here. I'm the one outside in my robe either whipping a green cover on or off.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 AM

737 posts, read 1,036,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
I read somewhere an old saying, if anyone else know it and I say it wrong, well..... wouldn't be the first time

one to grow
one for the crow
and one to feed the earth

It's probably not the exact saying, possibly not even close, but anyway, the point stuck with me. I try (sometimes it's just not feasable(sp)) to do two-three seeds/bulbs/whatever just in case one or two dies on me.
As the crow flies....
"I once found a kernel of corn in the middle of a deep wood
by Walden, tucked in behind a lichen on a pine, about as high
as my head, either by a crow or a squirrel. It was a mile
at least from any corn-field".
- Henry D. Thoreau, Journal, November 19, 1850

Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 PM

32 posts, read 120,322 times
Well I am not in MN but I might have a solution for you.
I am new to gardening and I have followed the sq ft gardening method in attempting to establish a perfect vegetable garden. However I have taken it to a couple of levels higher when I built a 28" high 5 ft wide by 16 ft long raised cinder block bed and am presently building a 15' x 24' hoop house over it to protect my investment from hail, wind, rain, sun, deer, rabbits and wees. I have posted how to videos on YouTube about how I did what I did if helps anyone else. You may watch the videos at the following YouTube links. This is ongoing until I am completely finished with my large project.

[SIZE=3]Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house VIDEO ONE OF FIVE[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_GNU_0TRwA

[SIZE=3]Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house VIDEO TWO OF FIVE[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeJO5wvJb2Y

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house VIDEO THREE OF FIVE[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaSZ4aAB5RU

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house VIDEO FOUR OF FIVE[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0gD107Z1xA

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house VIDEO FIVE OF FIVE[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5nLF_SpK6M

Laszlo Zone 7b

Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
What do you guys do in winter to keep from going sir-crazy.

Two German Shepherds,(a father / daughter combo) one genuine rescue mutt puppy, 2 genuine rescue mutt cats and one bitchy bird, and.... there are always books, this year for Christmas, my wife bought me "The Autobiography of Mark Twain", this thing is bigger than "War and Peace"!!!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:19 PM

36 posts, read 147,136 times
Indoor plants: Orchid, house plants, terrarium, water plants in aquarium.....

Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
What do you guys do in winter to keep from going sir-crazy.

This is why the garden-gods created basketball. (this is N. Carolina, "hoops", is almost a religion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden