Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 AM

54 posts, read 228,973 times

Advertisements

I love to garden. I grow a lot of native plants plus strawberries. But its MN and december. I wont be able to garden for 7 more months.

What do you guys do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 09:21 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Reading, jigsaw puzzles, computer games and computer research, trying out new recipes. Do you have a project you have been putting off like getting the family photos into albums?

Is it too late to take some clippings from outside and nurture the babies inside?

Old 12-04-2010, 09:30 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Houseplants.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 AM

54 posts, read 228,973 times
good idea. i have some houseplants i could nurse back to vigor.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
Read, Yoga class, cooking, movies, walks on sunny days and this January will wallpaper the dining room.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times
I am eyeballing my empty 3000 sq ft basement and seriously contemplating hydroponics. 1000 sq ft is equal to 1 acre of garden space with much longer shelf life for things like lettuce ( 1 month) and way beyond "green". I just can't stand the down time and who knows maybe I could sell a bit? Me, 20 miles from Canada in VT and coming from Houston.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:16 PM

224 posts, read 689,572 times
build terrariums, spruce up the greenhouse, plant tulips and daffodils...

Old 12-04-2010, 02:13 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,220 times
Funny, as I am reading this thread, I have been waiting for my car to be repaired and going on 3.5 hours now and I am going stir crazy myself! Well, in the winter I enjoy pansies outside, keeping them watered and fertilized. Also, houseplants are fun maintaining them as well. Another thing I really enjoyed one year was growing seeds indoors for spring planting. It was so fascinating watching them sprout and grow up over night sometimes.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:38 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
RIght now I am looking for new plants for next years garden. I try to add several new types of veggies each year that I can either can, dehydrate, or freeze. I need to clean up my garden journal and organize my seeds. I have a bunch that I am going to trade, so I need to get those bagged up for trading.

My big project this winter is organizing my garage and putting all my recipes into binders.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 AM

107 posts, read 214,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I am eyeballing my empty 3000 sq ft basement and seriously contemplating hydroponics. 1000 sq ft is equal to 1 acre of garden space with much longer shelf life for things like lettuce ( 1 month) and way beyond "green". I just can't stand the down time and who knows maybe I could sell a bit? Me, 20 miles from Canada in VT and coming from Houston.
Hi, Swanstone1! I really like your idea to try hydroponics and have thought of trying this too, but there are no windows in my garage...do you have to add plant lights to do hydroponics? (I have a feeling this is a dumb question).

Although I am in southern New England (zone 6B) I am anxiously waiting to see how my broccoli, spinach, broccoli rabe, carrots and cabbage are surviving under my foot high tunnels since it is now going down into the 20's at night and in the low to mid-40's during the day. I've never tried anything but a summer garden so this is interesting. Last week I harvested 6 good size broccoli crowns off plants that I planted in September and there were side shoots starting (yay). Almost everything in the garden has fabric row covers directly on top of the plants and then the hoops covered by plastic (held down by bricks or they'd uncover in the 50 mph winds we have been having only 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean). Checking daily on the uncovered 6" kale that I planted in late September. It is well protected with lots of leaves and straw and is growing very slowly but has survived many freezes and even a little snow.

I just received the Johnny's and Seeds of Change catalogs in the mail late this week and have been going through them, circling what I think I'll order, and mapping out where I'll put them in my garden taking into consideration crop rotation and what kinds of veggies cannot follow previous veggies. I still have lots of seed left over from summer 2010 which will make it economical to garden, but less fun for planning as I won't need to order very much. Can't wait until February to start indoor planting from seed. Right now I'm overjoyed that my indoor Christmas cactus and geraniums are blooming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden