Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,909,487 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that many plants/flowers are starting to bloom....and it will be strawberry season shortly as well!

What can I plant that will start blooming now through spring or even summer?
Its in the mid 70's here in Tampa during the day and mid 50's at night. I don't mind planting annuals just want to see some blooms and color!

Edit: Need to be fairly low maintenance though I'm a complete amateur! The only plants that have survived here are the ones we hired somone to plant/take care of lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:26 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,641,061 times
My current favorite "annual" are those cute double Kalanchoe blossfeldiana they have now that look like mini roses, I've seen them in several colors. I bought a couple last spring and they have been blooming continuously ever since! I mean literally, they had flowers on them even through the deepest part of the summer when all my other plants take a siesta, and they've kept blooming throughout the winter even with no cold protection. They have succulent leaves that store water so handled the dry season really well.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:36 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,909,487 times
thank you! do you happen to remember where in Tampa you purchased these kalanchoe blossfeldiana? do they also bloom in the spring? hoping to plant something that will start blooming right away.....we have lots of crepe myrtles in our neighborhood and they have started blooming and look lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
My current favorite "annual" are those cute double Kalanchoe blossfeldiana they have now that look like mini roses, I've seen them in several colors. I bought a couple last spring and they have been blooming continuously ever since! I mean literally, they had flowers on them even through the deepest part of the summer when all my other plants take a siesta, and they've kept blooming throughout the winter even with no cold protection. They have succulent leaves that store water so handled the dry season really well.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,641,061 times
Quote:
thank you! do you happen to remember where in Tampa you purchased these kalanchoe blossfeldiana? do they also bloom in the spring? hoping to plant something that will start blooming right away.....
You should be able to find them in any local garden center. I have even seen them at the supermarket recently, although you'd have a better selection of colors at a home improvement store. I think I got mine at Lowes. The double blooming type is relatively new, there is also a type with a simpler single flowers, you can mix and match as you like you like. Mine are in bloom right now, but as I said, they never stopped. It's hard to ask for more from a plant sold as an annual. They are available in several colors so you could get a nice bed or container going, and they are really easy to start from cuttings.

Quote:
we have lots of crepe myrtles in our neighborhood and they have started blooming and look lovely!
I love the crapes too (at least when no rabid landscaper has hacked them back to a pitiful flowering broomstick ), and I've got my eyes peeled for the jacarandas, my favorite part of spring. The oaks near me are all sporting fall-like leaves right now - they go from fall to winterbare to spring green over the course of a couple weeks, I always enjoy that spectacle until they start painting my car yellow.

Here's a link to my favorite resource for Florida gardening - the University of Florida's extension service. It has tons of information on a wide variety of gardening subjects, specifically for Florida, that takes into account the differences between north, central, and south Florida.

Lawn & Garden - UF/IFAS Extension: Solutions for Your Life

Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,040,827 times
I got some double blooming impatiens for my baskets last weekend, they will bloom right through to the first frost, longer if I can remember to bring them in.
I planted lettuces over the weekend, will be starting on herbs later today.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,003,301 times
The best annuals I've found in Florida are Vinca...they won't be in the garden centers for probably another month or so...but they love sandy soil and are virtually carefree. They thrive on neglect.

Another carefree flowering plant is the beach sunflower- it will spread too and requires no water after establishment.

Also, pentas are a winner. They bloom all year for me and pretty drought tolerant. I water them once a month (I have no irrigation).

If you have deep shade and can keep them watered enough, impatiens are all over the place right now and they really are gorgeous. I bought a flat at HD last weekend and put them in...can't wait for them to fill in.

Salvias and verbena are easy too.

SO MANY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden