Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 09:33 AM

64 posts, read 154,962 times

Advertisements

Where to start?
I've frequented the website 'life on the balcony' (which is awesome!) but the creator is much more advanced than I obviously am.
I have a covered balcony that gets little to no sun during the day & I live in hot & humid Texas.

Given those factors, do I even have a chance in hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 12:05 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DottyDo View Post
Where to start?
I've frequented the website 'life on the balcony' (which is awesome!) but the creator is much more advanced than I obviously am.
I have a covered balcony that gets little to no sun during the day & I live in hot & humid Texas.

Given those factors, do I even have a chance in hell?
Yup - hot humid and shade = ferns and orchids. There are so many varieties that you should be able to put together quite a display!

Old 05-22-2011, 12:30 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Of course you can do it! You'll want to make sure you choose plants that will tolerate shade. Think of the balcony as though it was a real garden. Gardens have paths bordered by planting beds, shortest plants up front, arranged so there is a pleasing contrast and harmony of leaf and bloom. You can mimic this effect with your containers. You'll want a couple tall plants in big pots - like tall shrubs, small potted trees, maybe a nice trellised vine. Then some lower plants like small shrubs or perennials in medium pots, and small pots with annuals or succulents or whatever to fill in. If you arrange these with the tallest plants in the back, you create an effect similar to a planting bed. You may also want to consider some window box type containers on the railing or on the floor along the edge, and some tables or plant stands to elevate your favorites up off the ground.

I found this on Google, thought it might be useful to help you choose plants. I have a balcony garden in hot & humid Tampa but my conditions are probably pretty different than yours in Texas.

Shade Tree Gardens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden