Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 AM

67 posts, read 304,305 times

Advertisements

What soil to buy for a raised bed vegetable? Should I get the miracle gro garden soil for vegetables or should I get an organic soil. Also, Should I buy a bag of compost (like mushroom compost)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 AM

433 posts, read 1,143,183 times
Mels mix(Square Foot Gardening) is equal parts compost, peat moss, and vermiculite. It is very loose.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:48 AM

24,407 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I would till up what soil you have and take a good look at it. Is it sandy, Loamy( good)or a heavy clay? bags and bags of potting soil like miracle grow would be expensive. Much of it is sphagnum peat moss and compost anyway.
I like composted cow manure. I bought 4 bags at $2.50 a bag for the vegetable garden and pots and planters. 3 40 pound bags went into a 5 x 10 plot about an inch deep. Then I shoveled it over into already tilled soil. I could have added more but its already pretty heavy in organics from past years. I've added sphagnum peat moss as a mulch this year and last, normally I just use dried grass from the lawn. Working that in the fall makes it nice and loose. I use miracle gro fertilizers and have no complaints against them. You should try to improve your soil and make it better, not replace it.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:21 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Most universities have garden/community extention offices, where they'll test and analyse your soil, or simply answer questions, and can tell you exactly what you need to amend the soil with. The area I live in now used to be a big farm back in the 40s and 50s, and there's a big community garden down the street....neighbors tell me nothing much needs to be done to the soil here. It's very dark and rich, with worms galore. What you add depends on what soil you're starting with.

Best vegetable garden I ever had was when I added aged chicken poop (I had chickens at the time) and oak leaf mulch and tilled it in to what was fairly sandy soil. That was an incredibly productive garden!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbiz View Post
What soil to buy for a raised bed vegetable? Should I get the miracle gro garden soil for vegetables or should I get an organic soil. Also, Should I buy a bag of compost (like mushroom compost)?
Your zipcode tells me that you are in my neck of the woods, North of Westpark and West of Hillcroft. Raised beds work great here. You should get this guy's http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...g/5578965.html planting almanac for Houston if you haven't already. Houston soil doesn't really till up all that well. You could probably amend it and fine tune it over a period of years, but it would still be gumbo that you can make bricks and pottery out of, you will always have drainage problems and the only things that will be truly happy in it will be citrus trees and dallisgrass. I think it is much more cost/time effective to build a raised bed and fill it with a quality soil mix.

Nature's Way Resources is a great outfit for good dirt (they only operate in the Houston area) and will deliver in bulk to your home. If you have your bed planned out you should be able to calculate the cubic yardage and order that amount for delivery.

It isn't outrageously expensive, but it isn't cheap either.

I have six 10'x5' beds and filled all of them with their "Garden & Flowerbed Mix Plus". Great stuff. You shouldn't need to add anything for two or three growing seasons, maybe longer if you rotate crops properly.

Delivery Info

EDIT: If you're raised bed is on a smaller scale, I would go to Southwest Fertilizer on Bissonnet. They carry bagged Nature's Way products.

EDIT2: Wabash Feed & Antique on Washington also carries bagged Nature's Way products and their staff is universally friendly and knowledgeable in varying degrees.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 05-23-2011 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-19-2021, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,173 times
I like to use the Mr. Good Stuff growing soil for my backyard vegetables. It has compost, perlite, turkey droppings & doug fir. Plust i can just order it online real easily at [url]https://www.goodstuffsoil.com[/url]. If you live around the Sacramento area they deliver basically the same-day every time.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I just stopped at the Grange nearby and picked up my soil for the vegetable garden yesterday. It's not cheap, but well worth it. Regularly $9.99/2 Cu. Ft. it was on sale for $8.99. The Gardner & Bloome potting soil, mostly, with the addition of some of the Harvest Supreme. I have used it for years now, and it's made a huge difference. It's not available in all states, however.

https://www.kellogggarden.com/produc...organic-soils/

Old 03-22-2021, 12:04 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbiz View Post
I do it a bit differently than others. I use straw bale to fill up the raise bed (cheaper) then top it off with bags of compost (I use cow manure, think it was $1+ a bag). For the last two years it proved to be a success.

This how I do it. First build a raise bed (left) then fill it up with straw bale (right)

Add drip irrigation

Success with Zucchini

Can you believe this

Success with Cherry Tomatoes

It's true what they say, once you taste your own home-grown sweet tomatoes....

Japanese Eggplant

Cucumber

The straw bale will decompose over the summer and provide a great compost to the vegetables. You'll need to refill the straws the next spring to start a new season. But as you can see from pics above, this works great in a raised bed garden

Old 03-26-2021, 06:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

..... Success with Cherry Tomatoes ......
Those beds and plants look great.

In the picture of the tomatoes there's a plant at the forefront that I don't recognize. It's the one with the large almost mapley shaped bright green leaves with red ribs and fuzzy red stems. What is that plant?

Old 03-26-2021, 09:10 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Those beds and plants look great.

In the picture of the tomatoes there's a plant at the forefront that I don't recognize. It's the one with the large almost mapley shaped bright green leaves with red ribs and fuzzy red stems. What is that plant?

That's okra.

It produced red okra. I planted from seeds and was learning how to grow them this past year. It turned out they need a lot of space! So these two in the foreground were stunned because the tomatoe vines blocked the sun for 1/2 of day.

One thing I learned is don't let the okra grow too big because they turned fibrous and tough to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden