Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:32 PM

703 posts, read 2,943,362 times

Advertisements

Leaves turning brown and yellow starting from the tips inward. Looks to be dying, what can I do to save it? Anyone with this problem?

http://www.evergrowing.com/tips/cornplant.htm

Last edited by psychofan; 11-19-2008 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 04:00 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
Are all the leaves doing this or just the bottom ones?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:34 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,665,529 times
I can't keep those plants alive or looking good myself (a friend of mine says they are the easiest). I found 2 things contributed to my plants demise. One is overwatering. If leaves are turning yellow rather quickly, then you are overwatering. I also had a problem with the end of leaves always turning yellow then brown. I have well water, so I read/found that by using water that sits out for 24 hours (I have a jug that is filled with water for my finicky plants) and then I water my plants, this problem disappears. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 AM

The weird thing is that there are two corn plants in this pot (one's larger than the other), where it's only the larger one that is going from yellow to brown. The other one looks fine. For awhile, only the much larger leaves were changing from yellow to brown, but now, even the smaller bottom leaves are turning. This had been going on for a good two months and I have practically stopped watering and nothing's changed.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:47 AM

400 posts, read 1,238,688 times
When was the last time you repotted this plant? Could very easily be rootbound and the yellowing is the plant's way of telling you "my shoe is too tight". Also, when did you fertilize last?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Maybe this is a plant that matures, then dies, like a corn plant would in nature. I keep a few big palms indoors in the winter and as soon as they start looking at all bad, out they go. You can buy a new plant at Home Depot for $15., so maybe you should just pitch it and move on.
Nothing looks worse that a bunch of overgrown, sad, tattered indoor plants.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:48 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
I'm thinking along the same lines as SD snowbird. You have two plants competing in the same pot, so perhaps giving them more space (ie repotting them) would help.

As for watering, I water very little and only once a week. As the tree grows, the bottom leaves begin to turn yellow and eventually dry out completely. That's when I trim them off (not before).

Old 11-20-2008, 10:05 AM

190 posts, read 681,312 times
Corn plants are typically planted in groups of two or three so I don't know that one is cutting into the others space.
Honestly, I have never been able to kill one of them and I do nothing as far as caring for them.
Are you watering it to much?
Mine gets little to no natural light and I might remember to water it once or twice a month but I have to keep chopping it cause it keeps growing into the ceiling. This one is old so I don't know what their lifespan is but it is long.
The one I had before this was maintained by a teenage boy so you know it wasn't high maintenance either . I finally gave it away when we moved and it had grown from a relatively small plant to being 6ft.
Try leaving it alone?

Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 AM

The only time it was repotted was when I bought it and moved it from the cheap plastic container it came in and placed into a regular container. My parents used to have these plants too and they had multiples in a single pot as well, so I don't think that could be a huge issue. I think I'll try what Alter suggested and just 'leave it alone'. No watering nothing, just alone.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM

110 posts, read 373,281 times
I'd agree with Alter. We have one of these that we got for a few bucks on sale. The bottom leaves go brown and we just cut or pull those off. It actually started go bad when we moved it into our sunroom with the other plants. I think it was doing bad because we were watering it and "taking care" of it in that room. Now that it's back in the spare bedroom, and somewhat neglected, it is doing just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden