Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 PM

32,112 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

So back in late 2009 or so, the District of Columbia started planting trees in my neighborhood, and put one in a tree box directly in front of my house. I never watered it. The other trees in the neighborhood were not watered either, but they are a good 3 to 4 feet taller than my tree. The tree doesn't look like it's dying; it just looks small compared to the other trees. I went out and bought a watering bag and placed it around the tree, but is it too late for that? I just read that you have to water the tree consistently during its first year in the ground.

I've also read that tree boxes can be bad because they prevent run off water from getting to the tree. Some articles have said that it's best to put down mulch. Should I do that? And if so, should I use a weed killer to get rid of the weeds in the tree box, or should I pull them all up by hand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Your poor tree is already in distress do not apply weed killer in the tree box. Pull the weeds by hand.

It's not too late to start caring for the tree if it is still alive but runty. Use the watering bag and mulch the tree as well. Cared for this season, it should develop some better roots and improve next spring and summer.

Rinse, repeat.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Your poor tree is already in distress do not apply weed killer in the tree box. Pull the weeds by hand.

It's not too late to start caring for the tree if it is still alive but runty. Use the watering bag and mulch the tree as well. Cared for this season, it should develop some better roots and improve next spring and summer.

Rinse, repeat.
Should I put the mulch down on top of the soil or should I put down one of those canvas/weed block things first?

Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
The weed block cloth slows the water from getting to the roots, and 2-3" of mulch should prevent weeds anyway.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
The weed block cloth slows the water from getting to the roots, and 2-3" of mulch should prevent weeds anyway.
Thanks.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
I would also recommend a quick injection of nutrients. Use a couple of tree fertilizer spikes.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
I agree the tree may need nutrients, but I would say to the OP be careful. It is better to put in too Little fertilizer than Too much. Too much will definitely kill the tree. Follow the directions very carefully and be less rather than more generous with fertilizer.

If the tree is near the street, I know how our winter was last year. The people on the street crews probably went OVERBOARD with salt like they did up in MD. If that's the case, then your tree already has a lot of salts in the soil, and fertilizer may sound it's death knell. Again, I agree with BDD that fertilizer may help the tree grow...but pls use a "light hand."

The only other thing I would add is to make sure you leave a little space around the trunk of the tree when you add the mulch. There are good references for properly mulching the tree at your local nursery or on Google.

Watering...I'm close t your area...are you not getting rain? Usually I would say water the tree deeply once a week, as needed with maybe 2-3 gallons at a time and let the water soak in. Hopefully the way the water bags are designed, you won't be overwatering the tree. I have never used a water bag, but I have seen the "landscapers" at my office use them around the crape myrtles they keep replacing every year.

Although I have not used them myself, I think you may want to hand water the tree. Maybe others have had better experiences to relate about water bags. But again if it's raining once or twice a week like it has been up here in Northern MD, then I'm not sure why you need to provide extra water...

Old 06-22-2011, 04:22 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Or it could just be a runty tree, kinda like the one kid in the family that's not as tall as his siblings.

What kind of tree is it. As a rule very few species are suitable for tree boxes and even those have other issues.

Where I am put in 1000's of dollars of trees (total cost of trees and prep) about 15 or 20 years ago. We consulted with DNR ( it was a state program for main street revitalization and environment) as to species, etc. The trees are all gone now, victims of vandalism (both kids and adults living in the houses by the plantings), official removal due to complaints by people that the trees restricted their views of the Bay (these same people had been originally enthisiastic about the trees), general neglect and just plain "plants die sometimes".

Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM

I have no idea what type of tree it is.

I recently planted a crape myrtle tree in my yard. I was afraid that the hole was not big enough when I planted it, so I dug around it and put hummus and manure down all around it. That stuff is like steroids for trees! I just put that stuff down on Sunday and the branches are growing already. The tree is now in full bloom!

I'm wondering if I can do the same thing with the tree in my tree box. If I dig a little around it, and put down some hummus and manure, do you think it will spring to life like Popeye after he eats a can of spinach?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Hummus? Don't forget the pita bread on the side!

Mulch is good, go for it. I'm neither here nor there on the tree box issue.

But again >> do not use weed killer in the vicinity of the trees >> NO!

'Weed killer' is an herbicide, that is a chemical which kills plants. Your trees are plants.

It is all too easy for the nearby herbicide to contaminate your already distressed trees and herbicide them. Pull the weeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden