Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,766 times

Advertisements

I have several bell pepper plants growing, but aren't yielding much fruit. They are growing in a 4'X4' box garden. The plants themselves are pretty lush and look healthy, but the actual pepper production is lacking. Also, in the same box, I have different varieties of peppers that are doing pretty well. For some reason the bell's aren't producing. Anyone know why? This is the second year in a row I have had this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 09:04 PM

983 posts, read 2,543,489 times
I am having the same problem with my bell pepper. The plants look good nice green leaves and maybe one pepper per tree for the past couple months. Hope someone who is a pepper expert can help. I know I might have an issue with them being crowded by the tomatoes, but they look happy, just not producing.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,766 times
Even the hot variety I have near my tomatoes are producing well. It's just those dang bell peppers. Can't figure it out for the life of me...

Old 07-22-2011, 02:37 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Here's a good site that you might find all of your answers too:
Growing Peppers The Important Facts

Old 07-23-2011, 07:05 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
I don't understand. All I do is fertilize, transplant (or plant the seed) and mulch once the plants come up and I have no problems with any of my plants bearing fruit, Bells included, methinks ya'll may be overthinking this. ASIDE - or - CHANGE OF SUBJECT - this years cantaloupe have been exceptionally delicious, am quasi-patiently waiting for my Sugar Baby Watermelons to come on in.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:27 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,288 times
Is it very hot where you are? Bell peppers (like tomatoes and most other fruits) can't set fruit effectively when the temperature gets above a certain point in the daytime and/or when nighttime temps don't fall cool enough. It varies by species. Some are bred to withstand hot temps better, but in my experience, most peppers/tomatoes/etc have a point at which excessive heat makes them very grumpy. So if you're somewhere that it's in the 90-100's, your variety of pepper may have gone into "let's just get through this" mode and start flowering again in the fall. Or, it could be that it's not getting enough nutrients and you need to fertilize more. Remember that some fertilizers help your plant bush out more (make more leaves and stems) and others give it what it needs to make fruit. You might try Garrett Juice or Seaweed.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM

21 posts, read 58,620 times
Default me too

but it's rather my squash I tried to grow. Flowers and no fruit. It happens. better luck with a batch of different seeds.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 PM

74,155 posts, read 1,836,842 times
I haven't had much luck the last 2 years with bell peppers.
Banana peppers do great.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 PM

983 posts, read 2,543,489 times
Dusty is the only one who is having great luck with the peppers. I have 7 plants and I think my total harvest is 10 -15 between anahiem and bell. I noticed they are just not as happy when they are towered by the tomatoes. I think I will plant them far from tomatoes next year.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 AM

107 posts, read 214,353 times
Having a similar experience with my bell peppers which are too close to the tomatoes (only one or two small thin skinned bells on each of 16 plants). The plants look very healthy, but the bells are few, are lagging, and are staying small. Plus I am now seeing signs of bottom end rot for which I added lime mixed with water to straighten out the ph problem. But my jalapenos in the same row are thriving and producing mucho peppers. I'm thinking the same thing, plant further away from the tomatoes even though they are companion plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden