Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times

Advertisements

I have about 175 FT of fence line to cover with Wax Myrtles. I am planning to use the 65 GAL Wax Myrtles and here I have 2 questions:

1. Based on previous reading the spacing between the trees should be around 10FT, I plan to stay in this house for long time and I don't want the trees to look like crap after 5 years

2. What distance from the fence I should plant those 65 GAL Wax Myrtles? 3 or 4 FT? The closer with the fence the better for me so I can build smaller garden beds, but I don't want to screw up

Thanks much
Ethan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 12:14 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I would suggest at least 6 feet out from the fence, those trees will get big, up to 20 ft, and you don't want a neighborly problem or a shaping problem.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:50 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ yes. I would plant 6-8 ft out from the fence, but that also depends how you want to prune them.
According to this: Wax Myrtle (http://supersodtrees.com/wax-myrtle-myrica/wax-myrtle-5 - broken link) a mature plant is 16 ft wide

Old 07-30-2011, 04:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Trees? Are wax myrtles considered trees?
Wax myrtles are shrubs.

65 GALLON wax myrtles?? Most plants of this considerable size are balled and burlapped behemoths, not common garden plantings. Perhaps you mis-stated the container size of your shrubbery?

Wax myrtles are....ok. They're green. They take to shearing well enough. They're relatively easy to keep under control for hedging.

10 foot spacing would seem sparse for wax myrtles, a distance of 5 feet per bush is more space than I would give wax myrtles to grow over a 10 year period of time. Wax myrtles are considered a 'native' here in Seattle--they require no care, live off of natural rainfall which is prodigious, but still are not exactly lush. Not my favorite bush.

I think you should not consider them to be trees (we do not know where you live). I think you should plant them closer than 10 feet apart. I think you do not have 65 gallon plantings.

I think you could give us more [accurate] information.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:46 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I have about 175 FT of fence line to cover with Wax Myrtles. I am planning to use the 65 GAL Wax Myrtles and here I have 2 questions:

1. Based on previous reading the spacing between the trees should be around 10FT, I plan to stay in this house for long time and I don't want the trees to look like crap after 5 years

2. What distance from the fence I should plant those 65 GAL Wax Myrtles? 3 or 4 FT? The closer with the fence the better for me so I can build smaller garden beds, but I don't want to screw up

Thanks much
Ethan

I think Nitram was on target. I checked to see what the conditions are in Houston in case there was something about the Southern Wax Myrtle I didn't know for the area. I've only seen a couple so far but understand they are an up and coming thing here in the south as a native shrub.

Depending on the variety (some are dwarfs) the common number given is about 6-10 feet spacing. Keeping them that distance from each other as well as the fence line should work well.

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Dwarf Wax Myrtle, Southern Bayberry Morella cerifera

Going Native: Our Top 10 Native Plants for Houston | Buchanan's Native Plants (see number 4)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...g/6176821.html

Old 07-30-2011, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply. Indeed they're not trees, they're very large shrubs, almost 9 Ft tall by 7 Ft wide. They're indeed in 65 Gal containers and they're the biggest /mature in that location where I am buying them.

I am from Houston ,trying to create a privacy screen along the fences in my backyard, and I apologize for not providing enough informations upfront.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:51 AM

560 posts, read 1,291,065 times
Just FYI - “The stems and foliage of southern bayberry contain large amounts of aromatic compounds that are quite flammable..."

Myrica cerifera

Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 PM

That one I didn't see coming So do I need a fire extinguisher? No idea how to react to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Just FYI - “The stems and foliage of southern bayberry contain large amounts of aromatic compounds that are quite flammable..."

Myrica cerifera

Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
That one I didn't see coming So do I need a fire extinguisher? No idea how to react to this....
They make an excellent candle wax. Collect the mature, waxy berries, and heat them in some water. Cool it and the wax will harden on top the water...

As for needing a fire extinguisher for the hedge, I doubt they'll catch fire...

Old 08-02-2011, 12:23 PM

So I decided to leave 11 FT between the trees. I am planning to put some shrubs between trees, such as waxleaf ligustrum and variegated pittosporum shrubs. Most likely I will get some 3 or 5 gal shrubs, and my questions will be how many shrubs should I put between the trees, again on 11 FT lenght? 3 or maybe 4 shrubs? I want to have a good even look, not too crowded, not to much space left.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden