Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:41 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I can't imagine Goldenrod and 'mums in part shade, where azaleas did well. It would really be a good idea to contact a local garden center or master gardener before spending lots of $$ and being disappointed.

LOL Many of the suggestions are great for conditions the OP doesn't have, or worse yet will set them up for scraggly plants susceptible to Aster Yellows. That's why I didn't make recommendations until he/she specify the conditions better. It's not just the zone that makes a difference. Soil type, moisture levels, and the amount and type of sunlight all will make a big difference in planting something that will grow. A mountain side garden will have different requirements from a seaside garden and in between is different again. Maybe the OP will remember their thread and be more specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
LOL Many of the suggestions are great for conditions the OP doesn't have, or worse yet will set them up for scraggly plants susceptible to Aster Yellows. That's why I didn't make recommendations until he/she specify the conditions better. It's not just the zone that makes a difference. Soil type, moisture levels, and the amount and type of sunlight all will make a big difference in planting something that will grow. A mountain side garden will have different requirements from a seaside garden and in between is different again. Maybe the OP will remember their thread and be more specific.
Very true. It would be a shame if the OP tried something inappropriate for the conditions at hand, only to be too discouraged to try again.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
Just wondering, but do you have colour preferences for the flowers you want to plant?

There are nice purple-hued flowers and violets that love the shade, or you could go with something more delicate, like white flowers along the lines of Lily of the Valley.

No color preferences at all.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I can't imagine Goldenrod and 'mums in part shade, where azaleas did well. It would really be a good idea to contact a local garden center or master gardener before spending lots of $$ and being disappointed.

I never said the azaleas were doing well, I just said they were there. Theyre stunted, scraggly, and ugly.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Its hard to be specific. Its dirt. Loamy. Good drainage. Id say partial sun, though full sun in some areas (marigolds are going in the sunniest areas).

I don't want something too tall. Really even a foot tall is too much. Compact bush type flowers will work too if I use them sparingly.

I'm aiming for ease of maintenance over beauty.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 AM

Glad you came back to clear that up. It sounds like you have mixed part sun to part shade/all shade under trees. Many of the suggestions for perennials given are for much sunnier conditions than what it seemed you had which was why katnipkid responded that way. Chrysanthemums, goldenrod and asters are all taller plants than you required and would get leggy in anything less than half day sun. I mentioned Aster Yellow because in your zone and region (humidity and heat in the summer) this can be a bigger problem (in the south) than for someone in the same zone but more northern location.

There are a handful of annuals that can fit the bill for looks but are hard to get from seed. Standard begonias will do well in those conditions as well as full sun, but will have the least blooms in heavier shaded areas. They can be grown from seed but are not always good to grow that way and are easier to buy as seedlings. A few of mine self seed every year. Standard impatiens will do well in part sun to part shade but will not flower as much in deep shade. They can be grown easily from seed and will self seed in the right conditions. A newer variety is really creating a buzz in the gardening world. I tried them last year and will get more this year. They are called Sunpatiens. I don't think you can get them as seed but they handle stronger sun conditions that regular impatiens can't (like the hottest afternoon sun) but will still bloom in part sun like their "normal" cousins. Mine grew to about 12 inches high and made a beautiful mound about 15 inches wide and were extremely colorful even at a distance.

If you want non scraggly perennials you will need to choose carefully among plants that can tolerate or thrive in shadier locations. Some can be seeded but most do better when planted as small plants in pots. Most shade and part shade perennials only bloom for shorter periods so you will not get a bloom all summer long as with the annuals. Low growing flowering perennials you might want to try are perennial geraniums (also called Cranesbill) which have a longer bloom time. Some are taller than others so look for the dwarf and low growing ones to stay at the 12 inch or under size. Brunnera would be spring bloomers that would grow well in those conditions. Smaller Astilbe varieties would be pretty and if you get several different ones the bloom season can be extended from spring into summer, especially if you dead head. Mine thrive in a morning sun/ afternoon shade garden between trees and my house and are pretty low maintenance. Pulmonaria have an ugly common name (Lungwort) but have beautiful leaves and can bloom on and off for a long time in the right conditions, mine has stayed green all winter thi year and has some blooms forming right now. They form mounds of leaves that are pretty when it isn't blooming. Heuchera have become popular for part sun gardens but do not have big visible flowers. They are grown for their unusual leaf colors. When grown in groups they can be pretty showy. They can take a few years to get to size, mine seemd to take 2 years to really look established. Another spring bloomer actually has been blooming around here since just before Christmas this year living up to it's Christmas Rose name: Helleborus. It is generally a late winter into spring bloomer for this area and would be about the same for you (same zone).

All the other perennials that I can think of at the moment, for part shade/part sun that have a longer bloom, would get too tall for your requirements. A good list to look through for possible plants to grow from seed would be here: Shade-Tolerant Flowers: Perennials, Annuals for Shade

I haven't used this company but another seed company for perennials is here (you will have to read up on the conditions for each they are not laid out by sun or zone for you): PERENNIAL FLOWER SEED

Old 02-16-2012, 03:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Quote:
Whoops, I thought the OP had varying areas in her/his yard, so I provided plants I like after listing the items for shade. Uh OK I read the OP's response and it does sound like I was correct. As a novice gardener, I totally neglected things like "Fall blooming" and "Fall color" which are really great to have in a "four season" yard. It is nice to see something blooming/pretty all year.

For the OP here are additional perennial options for shade (OP, pls check zone, soil and moisture requirements):

1. Ferns - I enjoy royal, ostrich, autumn (not native, but it is so far my favorite!), dixie wood fern, lady fern and cinnamon fern.
2. Chelone/Turtlehead - Comes in pink and white. ooh
3. Lobelia cardinalis - Nice plus produces a lot of seeds.
4. Aquilegia canadense - Native to our area and pretty in shade.
5. hakonechloa - Non-native, but is really pretty.
6. Astilbe - Not native, but also gorgeous for shade and has many flower colors.
7. Hybrid musk roses - There are roses which bloom in partial shade.

A super-easy No maintenance flower for full-sun to partial shade: Lilies!

1. Avoid orange tiger lilies since they're a carrier for various viruses than can destroy other lilies.
2. Ensure good drainage - Google how to check the soil drainage and amend if needed or make a little raised spot for the bulbs.
3. Asiatic lilies - Enjoy acidic soil and sunlight. No fragrance, but pretty shiny colors and multiply well. (Shorter varieties available).
4. Oriental lilies - Usually wonderful fragrance, may do better in partial shade. (Shorter varieties available).
5. Easter/Trumpet lilies - I planted an easter lily in a location that has pretty much full shade, and it is thriving and blooming. Plus it smells great so I'd recommend these. It is in an acidic area near a big white pine. These are usually tall, but I think a planting bed looks better w/ a taller plant in the middle and successively smaller ones around it. It is up to the OP, though.
6. Lily companions - Lilies can look a little naked by themselves, so you can plant them with shorter friends. I'm still working on this, but geraniums and tradescantia (spiderwort) may be good. These have been pretty no-brainer-ish for me.
7. Hyacinths - Not lilies and these are toxic, but they're EZ and return yearly in our zone, and smell so GOOD. Well-drained soil is imperative as I killed a couple that sat in wet soil. The others are happy in full sun or deciduous shade under trees.

Last edited by kinkytoes; 02-16-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I never said the azaleas were doing well, I just said they were there. Theyre stunted, scraggly, and ugly.
Hmmm....could this be due to browsing by deer? Usually Azaleas are fairly easy and perform well. From your post I am guessing the site isn't dry. Is that correct?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 PM

235 posts, read 837,227 times
I've developed a liking for helleborus lately. ("Christmas roses" is one type, but they come in many colours, even black.)

Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 AM

Kreutz there may be other plants that can make it, and that fit your size requirement, but without knowing the hours of sun each spot gets it is really hard to say what plants will work. Many low growing plants I have right now at the front of my borders need at least 6 hours of sun to be covered in flowers. Those that get just a little less have less blooms, spread less well and just don't look as full and healthy. It really makes a difference. Some plants cannot take the afternoon heat but otherwise can be out in the sun, others get burnt with any sun outside of early morning or very late afternoon sun. A dear friend living on coastal MA has Astilbe out all day in sun and they do beautifully but if I did that here in my zone 7 southern garden mine would be burnt and dead by the end of June. Very few plants do really well in full, deep shade but some referred to as "woodland" might work.

Quote:
We have areas of dirt and a tree encircled by stones on our yard, the previous owner had a few azaleas growing, which I plan to rip up....because theres alot of azaleas elsewhere (guess they had a thing for them).

Now, the thing is, I want to broad seed flowers there. Its part shade, and the soil is loamy, so thats good. The thing is, I notice many flowers grow rather tall, like 24-26 inches, I'm looking for shorter flowers because I want to accentuate the area, not dominate it.

So to summarize, can anyone recommend low growing perennials (or at least self-seeding annuals) for part shade? I'm alos interested in other ground cover to break up the patters, like those low growing junipers, how are they?

new to flowers! Thanks!
Quote:
Its hard to be specific. Its dirt. Loamy. Good drainage. Id say partial sun, though full sun in some areas (marigolds are going in the sunniest areas).

I don't want something too tall. Really even a foot tall is too much. Compact bush type flowers will work too if I use them sparingly.

I'm aiming for ease of maintenance over beauty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Whoops, I thought the OP had varying areas in her/his yard, so I provided plants I like after listing the items for shade. Uh OK I read the OP's response and it does sound like I was correct. See red hilighted portion of OP's request for help. As a novice gardener, I totally neglected things like "Fall blooming" and "Fall color" which are really great to have in a "four season" yard. It is nice to see something blooming/pretty all year.

For the OP here are additional perennial options for shade (OP, pls check zone, soil and moisture requirements): As the gardening expert you should be able to give this information instead of telling them to look it up. This kind of "go look it up yourself" information turns off many novice gardeners when they just have said they don't know anything and want something easy. Following it up with choices you may like in your garden that are all too tall just seems like you want to discourage them, or show off, or both. Plants that have to be kept moist, or super well drained or have pH issues are all not "easy" for a first attempt at planting something.

1. Ferns - I enjoy royal, ostrich, autumn (not native, but it is so far my favorite!), dixie wood fern, lady fern and cinnamon fern. Most of these are not ground cover and low, but ferns work in shadier areas as filler.
2. Chelone/Turtlehead - Comes in pink and white. ooh Height is 24-36 inches, does best in wet locations and does poorly if left to dry out-I've used it for wetland and edge of pond gardens only
3. Lobelia cardinalis - Nice plus produces a lot of seeds. Rare for these to come in shorter than 2 feet, requires consistently moist soil, does poorly if allowed to dry even short times it means watering a lot in Southern VA), and prefers more sun in order to bloom.
4. Aquilegia canadense - Native to our area and pretty in shade. This can't be looked up by the OP because of the misspelling of "canadensis" but is usually between 18-30 inches tall.
5. hakonechloa - Non-native, but is really pretty. Native wasn't requested so that doesn't matter, but it is not a flowering plant rather a grass and most grow to between 28-36 inches.
6. Astilbe - Not native, but also gorgeous for shade and has many flower colors. Listed in previous reply and only the dwarf version fit the height requirement and it will flower poorly in full shade if at all
7. Hybrid musk roses - There are roses which bloom in partial shade. These are SHRUBS, usually 4-6 FEET and "tolerate part sun" and most growers will recommend full sun. Tolerate does not mean preferred habitat but that the plant will just survive. Usually with a lot less flowers than normal.

A super-easy No maintenance flower for full-sun to partial shade: Lilies! With the exception of the Hyacinths all of the following are too tall (shortest varieties are 30 inches and tallest can come in at 7 feet) and all require sun to continue to grow and bloom over the years. Planting them in anything less than part sun makes them weaker, and more susceptible to botrytis (especially with higher humidity) and gradual decline.

1. Avoid orange tiger lilies since they're a carrier for various viruses than can destroy other lilies.
2. Ensure good drainage - Google how to check the soil drainage and amend if needed or make a little raised spot for the bulbs.
3. Asiatic lilies - Enjoy acidic soil and sunlight. No fragrance, but pretty shiny colors and multiply well. (Shorter varieties available).
4. Oriental lilies - Usually wonderful fragrance, may do better in partial shade. (Shorter varieties available).
5. Easter/Trumpet lilies - I planted an easter lily in a location that has pretty much full shade, and it is thriving and blooming. Plus it smells great so I'd recommend these. It is in an acidic area near a big white pine. These are usually tall, but I think a planting bed looks better w/ a taller plant in the middle and successively smaller ones around it. It is up to the OP, though.
6. Lily companions - Lilies can look a little naked by themselves, so you can plant them with shorter friends. I'm still working on this, but geraniums and tradescantia (spiderwort) may be good. These have been pretty no-brainer-ish for me. Finally recommendations that fit the description of what the OP wants! Haven't I seen the perennial geraniums mentioned somewhere?
7. Hyacinths - Not lilies and these are toxic, but they're EZ and return yearly in our zone, and smell so GOOD. Well-drained soil is imperative as I killed a couple that sat in wet soil. The others are happy in full sun or deciduous shade under trees.What is deciduous shade? Do you mean the shade of a deciduous tree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
I've developed a liking for helleborus lately. ("Christmas roses" is one type, but they come in many colours, even black.)
Hellebores take time to grow on some people but I like them, too. Hellebores (the Genus is Helleborus and covers about a dozen and a half different plant species) have become very popular because of their unusual bloom period, deer resistance and a boom in available color ranges. I didn't mean Christmas Rose to sound like a color. "Christmas Rose" and "Lenten Rose" are the common names the plants have been called for centuries and each is a slightly different species of Hellebore. A friend of mine has a garden just for the dozen or so varieties she has accumulated in the last few years and has promised me a chocolate one (no calories!) when she divides them. It looks nearly black but is incredibly beautiful. Another friend with severe deer problems has found them to be one of the very few plants she can cultivate. The deer avoid them for good reason; they are quite poisonous. I don't recommend them to homes with pets and small children that might try to nibble on the plant.

This place was recommended to me as an excellent source for Hellebore index but they have so many species and varieties to pick from it will be hard to stop with one or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden