Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllainehudges View Post
I've tried to grow basil indoor but unfortunately I noticed that it's not enough and it needs some good sunlight. It didn't grow nicely so I've to give some lights to it but don't over expose it in sunlight I guess.
I've been growing basil indoors in a south-facing kitchen window, all winter long. I started it from seed in September. The only time it was suffering was when it got hit by fungus gnat larvae, and once I stuck in some fly paper, the plants thrived again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 02:28 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
I grow cilantro, basil and parsley indoors but because my kitchen window is North-facing, I supplement the light level with a fluorescent fixture with grow-light fluorescent bulbs.

One herb that I have not had success with YET indoors is oregano. I'll keep trying of course.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Default I dont know why folks have such a hard time growing basil indoors

Last edited by phonelady61; 10-20-2015 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-13-2014, 01:26 PM

I grow my herbs in clay pots - it is much easier to control how dry they become between watering.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I grow cilantro, basil and parsley indoors but because my kitchen window is North-facing, I supplement the light level with a fluorescent fixture with grow-light fluorescent bulbs.
I found that this is key. I even have a south facing window, but my plants were all spindly trying to get to the light. I have 6 hybrid patio tomatoes and a basil plant indoors. I also planted marigolds in with the tomatoes. They're on my dresser with a light above them.

I just got a shop light at Lowe's and bought a pack of 2 GE daylight bulbs and they're good enough. Total for light and bulbs about $30.00.

I did kill a rosemary, though, even with the light. I never looked up what they require and I think I overwatered it. Woops! It was a gift and I watered it the same way I water my tomatoes and basil, which love water.

I also water them using the tiny amount of Miracle Grow so they get a constant small amount of fertilizer. Here's my dresser top indoor garden:

If you have the money, I think these Aerogardens are nice and they come in all sizes.

http://www.aerogarden.com/

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 07-13-2014 at 11:33 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 AM

48 posts, read 125,623 times
I've had varying success. It really depends on the herb and where I live.

In my first apartment, I could grow Basil and nothing else in a west facing window sill.

Now in my north facing window I can only winter Thyme and Rosemary. I live in MN and they probably wouldn't like my kitchen window year round. They slowly seem less and less healthy as the winter goes on. Every summer they go outside and live in their pot or sometimes in the raised garden bed to revive themselves.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. My indoor herbs do great under grow-lights with a North-facing window. I just haven't had much luck with oregano indoors or outdoors.

It has been a much cooler and wetter than normal summer and according to the seed packet, oregano likes temperatures in the 70s to at least germinate. I'll give it another try this summer and hope that I can get them going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I found that this is key. I even have a south facing window, but my plants were all spindly trying to get to the light. I have 6 hybrid patio tomatoes and a basil plant indoors. I also planted marigolds in with the tomatoes. They're on my dresser with a light above them.

I just got a shop light at Lowe's and bought a pack of 2 GE daylight bulbs and they're good enough. Total for light and bulbs about $30.00.

I did kill a rosemary, though, even with the light. I never looked up what they require and I think I overwatered it. Woops! It was a gift and I watered it the same way I water my tomatoes and basil, which love water.

I also water them using the tiny amount of Miracle Grow so they get a constant small amount of fertilizer. Here's my dresser top indoor garden:

If you have the money, I think these Aerogardens are nice and they come in all sizes.

Shop & Save on AeroGardens, Seed Kits, Grow Bulbs | AeroGrow Official Store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden