Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:32 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times

Advertisements

A massive spider web blanketing 200 yards has been found at Lake Tawakoni State Park in Texas. Entomologists are debating the orgin of the spider web. Check out the story by clicking on the link below.

FOXNews.com - Scientists Debate Massive Spider Web Blanketing 200 Yards of Texas Park - Science News | Current Articles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 04:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Anything that wipes out mosquitoes is okay in my book.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:23 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,287 times
Okay, I'm going to try to forget about this when I lay my head down to sleep tonight. And, I'm NEVER going to that state park. My arachnaphobia is getting better (I can kill them now) but it definately hasn't reached the point of going anywhere near a spider web the size of that one!

Old 09-02-2007, 01:40 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
I think that is fantastic!
WE love it! We wanna go see it! ...it's a social spider network that made the web correct?

Old 09-02-2007, 07:21 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I think that is fantastic!
WE love it! We wanna go see it! ...it's a social spider network that made the web correct?

From what the article says, it does appear to be a social spider network. The size is amazing!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:50 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,287 times
You guys are crazy, I wish I had your enthusiasm when it comes to spiders instead of this frozen fear.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
You guys are crazy, I wish I had your enthusiasm when it comes to spiders instead of this frozen fear.
There is nothing to be afraid of. Absolutely nothing! Its a deep-seeded fear that most humans have, sadly. Some places offer therapy to get over your arachnophobia, if youre interested.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:18 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
Okay, I'm going to try to forget about this when I lay my head down to sleep tonight. And, I'm NEVER going to that state park. My arachnaphobia is getting better (I can kill them now) but it definately hasn't reached the point of going anywhere near a spider web the size of that one!
At least you can kill them. I'm a pretty unflappable guy, but spiders scare me to death. I remember when I was about 3 years old I had a black widow on my arm and I'll never forget my parents' reaction to seeing it. It scared me to death, and I think that's where this fear comes from. I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:50 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,381 times
Confront your fears, you are bigger then a bug.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:25 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
We have a place down on Lake Tawakoni and saw the report while we happened to be down there over the weekend. It is kinda cool but gross at the same time. We are on the other end of the lake from the massive web but I will say that this year the spiders have been out in abundance. We had a VERY dry period for several years and last year the lake levels were VERY LOW! So low that every single boat ramp was dry and piers were a good 30' from the waters edge. Even Memorial Day weekend our boat ramp and pier were dry as were many on the lake. It does not help that the City of Dallas owns the lake and they have no concern for how low the water levels get. Then the rains came But it took a LONG time for Tawakoni to catch up w/ the other area lakes. While the others were all at or above normal with the monsoon Tawakoni was still WELL below and dry. Finally the rains move east and started falling there. The area even got a nice rainfall yesterday and today. Since the 4th of July we have been able to use our ramp and our pier actually has water UNDER it. LOL!!! Sadly, many people did not do a very good job of keeping the growth down on the dry lakebed areas and some ramps, piers and shorelines are crowded w/ growth coming up and unusable . Like I said we have had an abundance of spiders even around our place there but nothing like what is on the other side of the lake, thank goodness. But if I dare see nary of a web starting to form I may knock it down to keep them from taking over as I don't want to go down one weekend and find the entire place covered in one huge web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden