Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You don't crawl on your hands and knees to pull weeds at my age and with spinal damage. I can handle a gallon sprayer of roundup. I can hit my target. Come daylight more photos of where roundup has been used in flower beds.
don't ya know, people your age and obviously mine, should live in condos if we can't get on our hands and knees to pull weeds for hours every week. That is what we have been told here, isn't it? Sorry, I couldn't resist. I just picked a bunch of squash, including an acorn that wasn't ready (what was I thinking) yes, I use poison in my garden, just like the farmers did on the boll weevils, yes, I have bees, obvioulsy (not a lot) and yes my garden is producing. This can be debated until hell freezes over: for those who do not want to use or will not use and incectiside, that is you choice, good for you, but please don't lecture those of us who disagree with you. No one has the exact right answer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I wouldn't spray anything in your garden.
Good! I would not want you to spray anything in my garden either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Get on your hands and knees and pull those weeds! The reward can't be beat.
If it is so rewarding to you, please help out a senior citizen who relies on herbicides (to avoid doctor visits and pain meds that would result from crawling on their knees). They would much appreciate your work.
I know I would.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
don't ya know, people your age and obviously mine, should live in condos if we can't get on our hands and knees to pull weeds for hours every week. That is what we have been told here, isn't it? Sorry, I couldn't resist. I just picked a bunch of squash, including an acorn that wasn't ready (what was I thinking) yes, I use poison in my garden, just like the farmers did on the boll weevils, yes, I have bees, obvioulsy (not a lot) and yes my garden is producing. This can be debated until hell freezes over: for those who do not want to use or will not use and incectiside, that is you choice, good for you, but please don't lecture those of us who disagree with you. No one has the exact right answer...
Now you know I wouldn't lecture anyone who disagrees. Seems I'm the one who is getting lectured. Anyway as promised real photos of real roundup jobs I did about two weeks ago. Number one is an area around an orange tree that was in a state of Hospice care. Now it is back to intensive care but thriving finally. Eventually an 8' circle will be cleared for pineapples to grow under it one it gets a canopy. It is a multi fruiting citrus tree.

Now we have a woody stem Hibiscus that was overtaken with grass. I sprayed grass and the woody stems of the Hibiscus and with a small shot of food it is coming back to life with many blooms.

Now for an oak tree that is being cleaned around in prep for annual flowers once the weather cools. Petunias I think. Below the oak tree is a place that the roundup failed to kill much of anything. This whole area needs to be stripped to dirt, filled with rock and potted plants used as it is a lake after just a little rain now. Guess the weed whacker will come into play.

No trick photography or photoshop effects. All photos just sized for CD. No cropping either. Judge for yourselves as to whether or not Roundup kills everything. I won't go off topic and tell you how Roundup saves literally tons of precious top soil every year. But I might just start a thread explaining that now. Have a great day with the thread.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Now you know I wouldn't lecture anyone who disagrees. Seems I'm the one who is getting lectured. Anyway as promised real photos of real roundup jobs I did about two weeks ago. Number one is an area around an orange tree that was in a state of Hospice care. Now it is back to intensive care but thriving finally. Eventually an 8' circle will be cleared for pineapples to grow under it one it gets a canopy. It is a multi fruiting citrus tree.

Now we have a woody stem Hibiscus that was overtaken with grass. I sprayed grass and the woody stems of the Hibiscus and with a small shot of food it is coming back to life with many blooms.

Now for an oak tree that is being cleaned around in prep for annual flowers once the weather cools. Petunias I think. Below the oak tree is a place that the roundup failed to kill much of anything. This whole area needs to be stripped to dirt, filled with rock and potted plants used as it is a lake after just a little rain now. Guess the weed whacker will come into play.

No trick photography or photoshop effects. All photos just sized for CD. No cropping either. Judge for yourselves as to whether or not Roundup kills everything. I won't go off topic and tell you how Roundup saves literally tons of precious top soil every year. But I might just start a thread explaining that now. Have a great day with the thread.
Great just keep poisoning our habitat for your own personal selfish reasons. LOL

Is that premix or did you mix it yourself?

Looks like it did a standard job. Might have to hit it again after you clean out some of the dead debris.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
If Round Up doesn't affect the soil then how do they claim that it prevents weeds for up to 3 months?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
If Round Up doesn't affect the soil then how do they claim that it prevents weeds for up to 3 months?
Link what your talking about and I will explain.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
I don't have a link. I'm just going by what I've seen on the label.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:16 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Great just keep poisoning our habitat for your own personal selfish reasons. LOL

Is that premix or did you mix it yourself?

Looks like it did a standard job. Might have to hit it again after you clean out some of the dead debris.
I don't use premix. To expensive. I can follow directions and know how to make water wetter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't have a link. I'm just going by what I've seen on the label.
My label does not say that. I've never used any Roundup that was not a contact killer only. An then it will maybe kill specific types of plants. After using it for nearly 4 decades by the label directions as required by law. Any other use is a criminal act. Mixing it stronger thinking more is better is a criminal act. I wet the area down real good around that orange tree and in a week or two after the survivors start to grow I'm hitting them again. For Roundup to work well you need good conditions. Actively growing weeds that aren't to mature. No rain for 30 minutes.

Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer Plus Weed Preventer

Notice this is not the Roundup being discussed. This is a Scotts product not regular Monsanto Roundup. It is a re-engineered product for home use. I would not use it. Take notice of the key word PLUS in the statement. It's the PLUS that is the unknown that keeps killing. Big difference than using straight Monsanto Roundup. The patent expired and now anyone can make it and tinker with it. Just a word for the wise..

Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I don't use premix. To expensive. I can follow directions and know how to make water wetter.

My label does not say that. I've never used any Roundup that was not a contact killer only. An then it will maybe kill specific types of plants. After using it for nearly 4 decades by the label directions as required by law. Any other use is a criminal act. Mixing it stronger thinking more is better is a criminal act. I wet the area down real good around that orange tree and in a week or two after the survivors start to grow I'm hitting them again. For Roundup to work well you need good conditions. Actively growing weeds that aren't to mature. No rain for 30 minutes.

Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer Plus Weed Preventer

Notice this is not the Roundup being discussed. This is a Scotts product not regular Monsanto Roundup. It is a re-engineered product for home use. I would not use it. Take notice of the key word PLUS in the statement. It's the PLUS that is the unknown that keeps killing. Big difference than using straight Monsanto Roundup. The patent expired and now anyone can make it and tinker with it. Just a word for the wise..
Im sure the roundup you use has surfactants in it but i've found that one or two ounces of dawn dish soap for every gallon makes it adhere better to the organic material being sprayed.

The weed preventer is a preemergent that interrupts the weed seed germination process.

I've used a Surflan Roundup mix for years with really good results.(surflan is a commercial preemergent.)

Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Nomadicus - do you mulch? I don't mean little rocks - I would never used those on flower beds - they work their way into the soil and you have a mess.

I noticed you live in Florida so you probably can grow things throughout the year - not sure. I am originally from So. California and I gardened all year long but never had weeds like yours. We just hand weeded, added lots of organic material and top mulched either with organic compost or undyed shredded cedar. I kept on top of the weeds - weeding several times a week but there was never much to weed.

I would never ever use Round-Up in a flower garden because I don't think it is necessary if you adopt good gardening practices (that you use regularly like weeding several times a week, using a good top mulch, etc).

If I had your weed patch, I would dig the weeds up in 1' x 1' squares, shake off as much soil as possible (if the soil around the weeds is wet when you did them up, I'd let the soil dry and then shake as much soil off as possible), work organic material into the soil, plant and top mulch with compost or shredded cedar and the be very judicious about weeding regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden