Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times

Advertisements

Anyone grow any cacti (outdoors) up in the cold climates? Im in IL and interested in growing some cacti and was wondering what species thrive the best and can be left outside year long. Prickly pear grow naturally in many areas of the state, but I cannot get them to thrive for the life of me. I also have seen people grow some outside here but I dont know what kind of cactus they are. Theyre long and tall, kinda skinny (maybe 3" diameter), having 1-2 arms at most. One lady has them out year round and roped to her fence to keep them upright, and they look very healthy. Anyone here grow cacti outdoor in cold climates (ie IL, IA, MN, MI, WI)? Please share your success stories, Im all ears. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 02:42 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Not yet, but I have seen some here in DC/Maryland. Just Google "Hardy Cacti" and you will find out which types are appropriate. Cactus is a tough plant and is actually native to most of the States.

You have to plant it in well-drained spot, so raise the soil bed if need be. And use some proper soil too.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Not yet, but I have seen some here in DC/Maryland. Just Google "Hardy Cacti" and you will find out which types are appropriate. Cactus is a tough plant and is actually native to most of the States.

You have to plant it in well-drained spot, so raise the soil bed if need be. And use some proper soil too.
Thank you! Im looking for specifics if possible. I did the whole "well-drained" soil for my prickly pear (Opuntia humifosa) and they didnt last long (maybe 3 months). They had access to sun and everything, but turned black and shriveled up. Do you know what kind of soil (or mixture of) is best for cacti?

Old 09-26-2007, 02:52 PM

This page is pretty good:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/3015/Hardy.html

Mrs Moth and I may be purchasing a contemporary home. If so, I will be trying to plant some myself.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:04 PM

Great link! Thanks! Neither of those species are listed as native to IL though. Ill have to do a bit more research I suppose. I want a cactus garden, but I only want to start one when I know it will thrive. Thanks again!

Anyone else had any luck?

Old 09-26-2007, 07:05 PM

Well they may not be native, but they'll grow there.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Anyone grow any cacti (outdoors) up in the cold climates? Im in IL and interested in growing some cacti and was wondering what species thrive the best and can be left outside year long. Prickly pear grow naturally in many areas of the state, but I cannot get them to thrive for the life of me. I also have seen people grow some outside here but I dont know what kind of cactus they are. Theyre long and tall, kinda skinny (maybe 3" diameter), having 1-2 arms at most. One lady has them out year round and roped to her fence to keep them upright, and they look very healthy. Anyone here grow cacti outdoor in cold climates (ie IL, IA, MN, MI, WI)? Please share your success stories, Im all ears. Thanks!
There is a lot of cactus on my property in Wyoming. One of the photos shows a lot of cactus in the foreground, while the other photo shows a close up of some of what is growing there. The larger plants have leaves that reach somewhere around five inches across, while the small barrel type cactus are just slightly more than an inch across.

I don't know what type of cacti these are, so I can't help in that regard, though the larger variety looks a lot like prickly pear. I don't think it is, because it is nowhere near as big as what I've seen elsewhere, and only grows close to ground level. I believe it is native to the area, since it is very prevalent. A websearch might help you figure out what it is, or perhaps you can figure it out from looking at the pictures. I'd let you take some of what I have if you and I were both near my property (I'm not at the moment).

Good luck in your search.
Attached Thumbnails
Cacti-picture-020.jpg   Cacti-cactus1.jpg  

Old 09-27-2007, 08:50 AM

The small one almost looks like a barrel cactus, but I could be wrong. Those are also prickly pear in the photos too.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 AM

We used to vacation in Nags Head, NC and there were lots of prickly pear growing in the wildlife preserves.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:00 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
The cactus above from Wyoming are; Grizzly Bear Prickly Pear var. 'opuntia erincea' var. and the small one is a variety of 'eichinocerus' family of cactus; it is not a barrel cactus.
In the No. Eastern US area of the states, with the exception of some varieites of prickly pear, most cacti need to be in a controlled environment such as a green house to grow all year around. It's too cold and damp/wet for most species.

There are over 5800 varieties of cactus, including several hundred varieties of 'opuntia' Prickly Pear and 'opuntia' cholla family.

There are some varieties of prickly pear that grow in all 50 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden