Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 09:53 AM

840 posts, read 774,847 times

Advertisements

This shows a picture of it so we all know what I'm talking about:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/64886/

This article is about how to deal with rot once it has occurred:

"Cactus Rot"
http://kadasgarden.com/Crot.html

Someone I know knew that I wanted some, is moving & not taking this plant along, so brought it to me in pieces in very damp soil & loosely set into non-draining containers. (It appears to have either been in a pot too large to easily move, or perhaps the ground.)

Anyway, some pieces inevitably fell off . . .
while the vast majority of it is in a few larger, rooted pieces in very damp soil.

What --if anything-- can I do to keep it from rotting now? It's been in this condition for going on three days at least. Is there anything --other than drying out the soil-- to stop it from eventually rotting due to bacteria or fungi getting in its wounds & allowed to prosper due to the wetness?

Watering with MSM might work for some plants . . . but, this one prefers to be dry most of the time.

(To top it off, it started raining unexpectedly this morning, which got it a bit wetter until I brought it in.)

I am wondering if I should just dry the tops off, then cut them off of the roots & let them heal over before re-rooting them, instead of trying to save their roots.

What method/s do much more savvy cacti gardeners than I, think would work best?

Thank You for your helpful advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 08:50 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Start over with a dry cutting. Put it in a pot with fresh new dry cactus mix. Don't water it until it shows signs of rooting out. Then nurse it with a small amount of water. Overwatering is the cactus worst enemy.
Throw out all the rotted parts. They are no good. Keep the cactus in the pot out of the rainwater.

The following site is a good informational sight on growing cactus cuttings. I do not agree with the initial watering as it general causes more rotting until it grows roots to absorb the moisture.
http://www.dbg.org/system/files/61/o...pdf?1279065478

Old 12-01-2014, 01:52 AM

840 posts, read 774,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Start over with a dry cutting. Put it in a pot with fresh new dry cactus mix. Don't water it until it shows signs of rooting out. Then nurse it with a small amount of water. Overwatering is the cactus worst enemy.
Throw out all the rotted parts. They are no good. Keep the cactus in the pot out of the rainwater.

I agree to go easy on the watering!

However, this cacti is not rotted at this point.

It has just gotten wet . . . so far:

The roots are definitely wet; but, regarding the few pieces that broke off,
I'm not sure whether their recently detached ends have gotten wet, or, not.

My main concern is whether they have became infected, and if there is a way to stop any possible infection . . . or not.

(By the way, maybe it's my PC, but I haven't been able to open the webpage your link goes to.)

Old 12-01-2014, 02:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,711,475 times
Another site for info on cacti and succulents:

Cacti and Succulents Forum - GardenWeb

(you have to join)

Old 12-01-2014, 10:04 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
I agree to go easy on the watering!

However, this cacti is not rotted at this point.

It has just gotten wet . . . so far:

The roots are definitely wet; but, regarding the few pieces that broke off,
I'm not sure whether their recently detached ends have gotten wet, or, not.

My main concern is whether they have became infected, and if there is a way to stop any possible infection . . . or not.

(By the way, maybe it's my PC, but I haven't been able to open the webpage your link goes to.)
Can't be infected unless they are rotting. You'd see mushy brown or black at the base of the plant. Don't over water them and you should have no problems. Keep the pots out of heavy rainfalls. If you're too worried about being too wet then take the plants out and re-pot them in a fresh well draining cactus mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden