Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times

Advertisements

Got home this afternoon. The hydrangeas had wilted, but after pouring a few buckets of water on their roots they seemed to have perked up again. Yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 05:38 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
Oh good - hydrangea is one of my very favorites...glad they made it! It was 104 today....I think I need someone to pour some water on me..:-)

Old 07-07-2012, 06:32 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,788,856 times
It has been hot and miserable here, too. Add to it a horrible storm with tons of tree pieces everywhere and gardening has been a killer. My Hydrangea has been holding up, as well as the rest of my shade/part shade plants like Astilbe and Heuchera nearby, but that's because I have been hand watering them. Today I was ready to just keep the hose on me instead of them. I look forward to slightly cooler weather next week but worry about the kind of storms that they will bring along. Many of my plants have developed pretty good deep roots and haven't needed too much watering and the garden doesn't look as bad as you would expect after all the heat but it has been work nonetheless.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Got home this afternoon. The hydrangeas had wilted, but after pouring a few buckets of water on their roots they seemed to have perked up again. Yay!
ours perk up every night pretty much, but by mid day look like poor little old ladies again. Of course the blossoms are all gone. Because of the heat we didn't get as many blooms this year. We did get a litle rain today and are supposed to get more tomorrow and Monday. I sure hope so, the temps dropped from 101 to 83 in about an hour.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
I have to say with this drought I've decided to do a little selective survival of the fittest, with just a few of the plants I inherited from the previous owner. For one glaring example, hostas planted where they get full south/west sun (So many people seem to do this! I'm no gardening expert but I think hostas are for shade is pretty basic). In normal summer weather they tend to start getting crispy. I was about to water them yesterday and I thought, why am I wasting my time and water when they should really be replaced with something more appropriate (I just dread doing it because they're in river rock and I know from trying to move hostas in the past that it's hard to get all of them anyway.)
If only the drought would affect the houttuynia she planted. Getting rid of those for good is looking like a lifetime project for me.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,409,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I have to say with this drought I've decided to do a little selective survival of the fittest, with just a few of the plants I inherited from the previous owner. For one glaring example, hostas planted where they get full south/west sun (So many people seem to do this! I'm no gardening expert but I think hostas are for shade is pretty basic)...
I thought so, but there are hostas (h. plantaginea) which can do ok in full sun. These are the hostas w/ fragrant flowers. The nozzle on my hose broke, so I'm going to be schlepping buckets of water across the field.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:17 PM

792 posts, read 1,177,306 times
I was wondering if I should prune my shrubs to help protect them from this extreme heat. But after finding this thread, I won't prune them.
Some of my shrubs are slowly wilting/dying and no amount of water seems to be helping. I water them in the evening. Things that get a bit of shade seem to be doing better than others.
My neighbor put a huge tent-like thing over one of her garden area's.
Do you think they're dying not from lack of water but from the extreme heat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden