Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 08:28 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,105 times

Advertisements

Background - I moved into this house about a year ago and I am just getting round to fixing the yard...

I have one zone in my yard that doesn't appear to do anything, I also have a section of sprinklers that I have never seen working. I think this is more than coincidence....

The controller is turning on the solenoid, I have buzzed it all the way through from the control box to the solenoid itself and in addition I can hear the solenoid buzzing when that zone is selected. Solenoid is also drawing power as measured on an AC ammeter.

The other thing is that this valve and solenoid is different to the 7 other zones in the system. All the others are the kind of solenoids I have seen before that screw into the valve and have two white wires. This one doesn't appear to screw in and has two red wires. A trip to the local Home Depot didn't yield any useful alternatives.

My question is what kind of valve and solenoid is it and where can I find a replacement? I don't really want to have to cut up the whole piping surrounding the valve, especially given how difficult the access is...

Thanks

- Tim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 01:37 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
That is a toro 264-06-03 inline valve as close as I can tell with no flow control. Might be an out of production model depending on when it was installed.

Clean valve, diaphragm may have stuck.

If that dosen't work replace solenoid. You need to take the whole top of to do this if I remember correctly. Its been a few years since I worked on a model close to that one. Not common in my part of the country given the building codes. I am assuming your system is on a backflow device?

If that dosent work replace valve.

You wont find these at Homedepot only a Professional Irrigation store like John Deere Landscapes or Ewing etc....

Oh and just because you hear and see the solenoid drawing power dosen't mean it's not worn out.

Just checked my toro catalog- its a current model 264-06-03. You will need to take of the top to replace the solenoid and diaphragm as needed

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 07-08-2012 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: update

Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Aw Bulldogdad, I knew you'd come through for the needy homeowner.

Nice pic of the valve box too, eh?
(I hate opening those things, they're always full of spiders, yek)

Old 07-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Aw Bulldogdad, I knew you'd come through for the needy homeowner.

Nice pic of the valve box too, eh?
(I hate opening those things, they're always full of spiders, yek)
Glad to help.

That will be $100 payable upon receipt.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:06 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Bulldogdad - you are a great resource!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,105 times
Cheers Bulldogdad,
I think it was installed in 1993 so yep, a few years old! Thanks for the part #, with this I can hopefully get another identical part. One question,any idea why is this zone different to the other 7.... Just curious? If it helps, I think this zone is above the level of the box, where as all the others are on the same grade or lower....

- Tim

Oh, and Azoria, not too many spiders, but loads of Oregon giant slugs (3"+ inches long!) and a small toad or frog, not sure which, he/she didn't hang about once the cover was off.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Cheers Bulldogdad,
I think it was installed in 1993 so yep, a few years old! Thanks for the part #, with this I can hopefully get another identical part. One question,any idea why is this zone different to the other 7.... Just curious? If it helps, I think this zone is above the level of the box, where as all the others are on the same grade or lower....

- Tim

Oh, and Azoria, not too many spiders, but loads of Oregon giant slugs (3"+ inches long!) and a small toad or frog, not sure which, he/she didn't hang about once the cover was off.
That would require being onsite to figure that one out. Obviously someone wanted to separate it out for some reason. Also that valve looks newer than 1993. It appears that it was added at a later date given the fact that it isn't even with the other two along side it. That is a jumble in that box and looks like several different revisions have been added to the irrigation system.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden