Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times

Advertisements

I support my local nursery in fact I liked them so much a friend and I bought when the owners retired. Now we need a manager as we both have other occupations. Local nurseries cater to local customers, the rest caters to a profit center - located at .. who even knows which country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Old thread but worthy of resurrection!

I'm lucky to have many independent nurseries/garden centers within a 20-mile radius and absolutely I support them.
In fact, my favourite sells plants that you really cannot find at the big box stores, along with garden decor from local artisans and other locally-sourced or grown supplies and produce.

I know it's a losing battle but I still try to shop mainly locally-owned businesses whenever feasible.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:06 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
I try to shop local as much as I can. The main reason I can't shop at the private shop owners
all the time is price.

The customer service is there, but the price is twice as much as a big box store.
Money is tight, so why pay twice as much for potting soil?
I do like the variety and sometimes rare plants at the privately owned though.
i can buy some plants that you really would have to order online for and sometimes
can't even get online.
So, I buy the "special" and unique at the small private nursery, and the
mulch, poo and potting soil at the big box stores.
I agree. I buy the basics at the big box stores and the special stuff at an independent nursery. I'd love to shop at the nursery all the time, but can't justify paying twice the price for the exact same plants.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:17 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
The last few years I've been going to big box stores because we were back in an apartment again. Now, in a house, we want quality. I'll buy annuals or some odds and ends at the big box stores. Petunias, geraniums, fine.

Fortunately, there are garden centers all over the place. There's a really expensive boutique garden center about 2 miles away but I can't afford anything there. I go there to look.

There are 2 more wonderful garden centers right in this town and they aren't that much more expensive than the big boxes. They are pleasant to shop in, they have a wide selection, they carry plants that will grow here, the plants are cared for (not stuck out in the sun to bake or not watered) and the people will talk to you about plants. They know their stuff.

This year we bought a new rose bush and dh saw it in the big box for $24.99 but we said--let's wait until the local places gets them in. Sure enough, when it got warm enough to plant them, the local place had beautiful healthy ones for $29.99 and we got it there.

Another thing--one local place puts out leftover plants and injured plants for FREE after 5:00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden