Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:10 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,396,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
You are right I should not have said "plenty," as I am not an arborist and bluntly do not know.

But in my home town we have an 100 year old invasion of Ailanthus altissima (Tree of Heaven,) I just spent fifteen minute this morning digging up it's sprouts from five different places in my yard, and just discovered a new outbreak location in addition to that. It's pushing through under my deck, up the siding of my house and I suspect is heavily related to foundation damage on the house all because it grows so fast.

I'm sure Eastern Beech is not as invasive as that, but I am still a believer in sticking with native species as they are more well suited to the environment and frequently need less care.
I can certainly understand your frustration with invasives as I have spent countless hours trying to remove them from natural areas myself. Natives are always worthy of a first look. However in this case... one would have to sacrifice many of the benefits of F. grandifolia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The "American" beech's historic range is all of North America and most of Northern Mexico except for the desert climates. FYI
That wouldn't surprise me. Of course that doesn't automatically mean it's well adapted to present day PNW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 AM

8,580 posts, read 12,494,021 times
Quote:
The "American" beech's historic range is all of North America and most of Northern Mexico except for the desert climates. FYI
Actually, the native range of American Beech, Fagus grandifolia, is primarily east of the Missisippi in the U.S. and Canada.

There are a number of reasons to favor native species. The widespread transport of tree stock, especially, has caused numerous problems--even when those species were originally thought to be benign. I just think it's better to err on the side of caution and pick species which are more suited to the local conditions.

American Beech has long been subject to beech bark disease in the northeast U.S. and Canada, which was brought over from Europe. Beech trees in some parts of Michigan are now also being ravaged by beech bark disease, although it hasn't yet spread throughout the state. The practice of transporting tree stock throughout the U.S. spreads various tree diseases much more quickly and to areas which normally would be geographically shielded from many diseases and pests.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,821,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Actually, the native range of American Beech, Fagus grandifolia, is primarily east of the Missisippi in the U.S. and Canada.

There are a number of reasons to favor native species. The widespread transport of tree stock, especially, has caused numerous problems--even when those species were originally thought to be benign. I just think it's better to err on the side of caution and pick species which are more suited to the local conditions.

American Beech has long been subject to beech bark disease in the northeast U.S. and Canada, which was brought over from Europe. Beech trees in some parts of Michigan are now also being ravaged by beech bark disease, although it hasn't yet spread throughout the state. The practice of transporting tree stock throughout the U.S. spreads various tree diseases much more quickly and to areas which normally would be geographically shielded from many diseases and pests.
I guess you missed these key phrases in my two posts. "Historic range" "Cleared by AG inspection"

A Certified American Beech would do just fine in the PNW if taken care of properly.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 AM

8,580 posts, read 12,494,021 times
Quote:
I guess you missed these key phrases in my two posts. "Historic range" "Cleared by AG inspection"

A Certified American Beech would do just fine in the PNW if taken care of properly.
No, I didn't miss your qualifiers. I just don't believe that "inspections" by the Dept. of Agriculture would ever be sufficient. Do you really think that government inspectors would prevent pests and diseases from being transported--especially when many of them are microscopic? History has shown that it just doesn't work that way. That would be especially true today when the bandwagon is for fewer and fewer "regulations" and for far fewer government employees. Now, mind you, I'm not saying that planting a single American Beech tree in Oregon will directly cause problems, but I do feel that it is better to use native species and get away from this problematic mindset of bringing in exotic species. Far too many native species have been impacted by our careless importation of exotic plant and animal species.

As to your claim of "historic range", I'm not exactly sure how you are trying to define that term. Certainly, American Beech distribution hasn't changed much since the time of European settlement. The U.S. Geological Service map of American Beech, Fagus grandifolia, distribution can be found below, which is clearly primarily east of the Mississippi River as I posted earler.

200602 Beech Tree (Fagus grandifolia) - USDA US Distribution

I'm always open to new information, but I stand by the information I've posted.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,396,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
No, I didn't miss your qualifiers. I just don't believe that "inspections" by the Dept. of Agriculture would ever be sufficient. Do you really think that government inspectors would prevent pests and diseases from being transported--especially when many of them are microscopic? History has shown that it just doesn't work that way. That would be especially true today when the bandwagon is for fewer and fewer "regulations" and for far fewer government employees. Now, mind you, I'm not saying that planting a single American Beech tree in Oregon will directly cause problems, but I do feel that it is better to use native species and get away from this problematic mindset of bringing in exotic species. Far too many native species have been impacted by our careless importation of exotic plant and animal species.

As to your claim of "historic range", I'm not exactly sure how you are trying to define that term. Certainly, American Beech distribution hasn't changed much since the time of European settlement. The U.S. Geological Service map of American Beech, Fagus grandifolia, distribution can be found below, which is clearly primarily east of the Mississippi River as I posted earler.

200602 Beech Tree (Fagus grandifolia) - USDA US Distribution

I'm always open to new information, but I stand by the information I've posted.
Planting exotics doesn't always mean the plant came from outside the area. The OP is in PNW where I think most nursery liners are produced to begin with. The only way you're going to get an american beech to PNW is a small mail order size that fits in a UPSable box. Not just because that's all thats available but because anything larger probably won't transplant or will require a root ball a half a mile wide.

And a lot of what plants are shipped are fumigated.

As for diseases, where has monocultures of natives gotten us?
Oh yeah, DED, SOD, EAB, blights, cankers, adelgids yadda yadda
Your pathogens and pests can just as easily hitch a ride in shipping pallets or firewood.

American beech could prove to be a valuable tree in the urban landscape of the pnw that is resistent to pests, diseases and other stresses found in that area.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 AM

76 posts, read 322,109 times
Thanks for the replies and the spirited discussion on this. I definitely love a lot of the natives, and will be planting many of those on my hillside, just wanted one beech to kind of remind me of my roots back east was all. I'll check with local/Oregon nurseries for this species, that way I won't risk running amok of the Dept. of Agriculture.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 PM

44,700 posts, read 61,868,751 times
OP here is a suggestion, contact the Oregon University AG Extension Service. They can answer all of your questions.

Home | Oregon State University Extension Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden