Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM

320 posts, read 2,530,167 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I live out here in Southern California, around North Orange county. I have an area in the backyard that receives moderate sun to open shade, depending on the season. The lowest temps we usually get here are at nighttime, maybe 45. I have some ferns there now, a palm, bush lilies, and a few others and trying to flesh out the landscape with other similar tropicals. Is there any reason I can't take plants sold in the "houseplants" section of say Home Depot, and plant those outside? And by plant I mean plant them in the ground, not in pots. Some of the ones I'm considering are like the bird's nest fern, taro plant, basic ones like that. After all, all plants grow outside naturally to begin with. I suppose the only reason they are marketed as houseplants is because they can't stand freezing temps outdoors and/or maybe too much sun.

Anyhow, was curious to hear from others who have done similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
We grow "houseplants" in the ground here in Florida all the time. Most plants marketed as "houseplants" are the ones that can tolerate low light levels for an extended period of time. You just need to make sure that you have sufficient humidity and that your nightly lows are tolerable for the plant - some species really are not happy with temps below 50º for more than a few nights at a time. Consider the watering needs and soil preferences and especially check to make sure that the plants are not invasive in your area before you plant.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Most houseplants are tropical, and unless you live in South Florida, Hawai'i, southernmost Texas or California they will die.

Others, like philodendrum, when not confined to a pot can be very invasive.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:41 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Greetings,

I live out here in Southern California, around North Orange county. I have an area in the backyard that receives moderate sun to open shade, depending on the season. The lowest temps we usually get here are at nighttime, maybe 45. I have some ferns there now, a palm, bush lilies, and a few others and trying to flesh out the landscape with other similar tropicals. Is there any reason I can't take plants sold in the "houseplants" section of say Home Depot, and plant those outside? And by plant I mean plant them in the ground, not in pots. Some of the ones I'm considering are like the bird's nest fern, taro plant, basic ones like that. After all, all plants grow outside naturally to begin with. I suppose the only reason they are marketed as houseplants is because they can't stand freezing temps outdoors and/or maybe too much sun.

Anyhow, was curious to hear from others who have done similar.
I lived in the City of Orange for many years and grew a pretty wide variety of houseplants outside in the ground. Mainly because they'd start to die in the house, so I'd plant them outside and they were all fine. I can't tell you the names of what I had growing, but nothing labled "house plant" (usually purchased from Home Depot) ever died once I planted it outside. I still have a huge (and now very heavy) Jade plant that grew outside in the ground for about 5 years in Orange. I trimmed it back to the trunk, dug it up, and hauled it here to Denver when we moved. Still going strong, and I put it outdoors (kept in its pot) every Spring so it gets to remeber the good old days of being outside

Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 PM

Thanks. I'm going to give it a go with a few plants and see how they acclimate.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 PM

204 posts, read 911,824 times
Do a little research on each houseplant before you plant them in the ground. A lot of plants behave differently when not confined to a pot. As mentioned previously, there are several houseplants that are very invasive when planted outside in a warm climate and may be more water demanding than other drought tolerant outdoor plants. Also, check each plant's toxicity if you have animals that like to chew on things.

Good Luck!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
Do a little research on each houseplant before you plant them in the ground. A lot of plants behave differently when not confined to a pot. As mentioned previously, there are several houseplants that are very invasive when planted outside in a warm climate and may be more water demanding than other drought tolerant outdoor plants. Also, check each plant's toxicity if you have animals that like to chew on things.

Good Luck!
Excellent points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden