Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

I live in a small apt & like having 2 or 3 plants, but not much natural light comes into the main room where I want the plants.

Which plants are best & of course look nice & don't need a lot of watering since I'm a busy person? I'm also thinking that drinking water is better to water plants with than faucet tap water.

I like Snake Plants, so I'll get one of those. I had one before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
I don't think you can go wrong with peace lilies. We used them for a class experiment in one of my college hort classes, subjecting 40 plants to a variety of abuses to see how they reacted: too much or too little water, exposure to heat, to cold, lots of light, very little light...you get the picture. Anyway, most were pretty ragged by the end of the term, but it was surprising how much abuse they could take. I rescued a couple of them when the experiment was done. That was 2005. They're in our living room and thriving now, and I've divided them a few times. The only time they ever look sad is when the soil is really dry. They can take overwatering really well, but they droop when very dry and then perk up when watered. Fertilize them once every few months. Easy plant, and very pretty. Ours sit near an east window, and the blinds are often drawn, so it doesn't need all that much light. Peace Lily—How to Grow Spathiphyllum

Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
If you have an empty corner, a "corn plant" (dracaena massangeana) could work for your - they are very forgiving (at least in my experience)!

Old 02-02-2013, 01:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with peace lilies. We used them for a class experiment in one of my college hort classes, subjecting 40 plants to a variety of abuses to see how they reacted: too much or too little water, exposure to heat, to cold, lots of light, very little light...you get the picture. Anyway, most were pretty ragged by the end of the term, but it was surprising how much abuse they could take. I rescued a couple of them when the experiment was done. That was 2005. They're in our living room and thriving now, and I've divided them a few times. The only time they ever look sad is when the soil is really dry. They can take overwatering really well, but they droop when very dry and then perk up when watered. Fertilize them once every few months. Easy plant, and very pretty. Ours sit near an east window, and the blinds are often drawn, so it doesn't need all that much light. Peace Lily—How to Grow Spathiphyllum

Old 02-02-2013, 03:47 PM

67 posts, read 242,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I used to have one of these in undergrad. It's name was "Chuck the Spathiphyllum."

Came home mid-morning in finals week to find housemate with two open beers, one in front of him, one in front of Chuck the Spathiphyllum. On inquiry, he said he finished his econ final and needed a beer, but couldn't drink alone. So, Chuck the Spathiphyllum survived rough house living for three years and 12 oz of Miller Lite to boot.

They are tough plants and look awesome.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:48 PM

African violets grow okay indoors, as do snake plants.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 PM

Just a thought, keep species selection in mind if you have pets. Ol' Chuck would have been bad for my cats, whereas the African violet is okay according to this site:

ASPCA | Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants

The above link goes to a toxic plant directory for dogs, cats, and horses.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Yeah, I have just learned that peace lilies are toxic to animals. I never really paid attention to which were toxic because our two dogs never touched plants, indoors or outdoors. Now this puppy -- she eats everything, including the Chuck Plants, so I've had to move ours. And I am also no longer upset that the drought killed three Hicks yews outside our bedroom window. She would have loved to nibble on those red berries and would have been a dead doggie soon after.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
My dog doesn't bother plants either. I guess the snake plant is toxic & I had it right down on the floor where my dog could lick/bite it, but he didn't. I had another, the dumbcane that was toxic, which I found that out after I bought it, but I had it up high. I have a 3rd plant currently that I'm not sure is toxic, but I'm not worried since my dog doesn't bother plants. My dog's 8 yrs old, so if he never bothered plants, he's probably not going to start now.

I still like the look of snake plants. I don't care for the looko of the peace lily. Looks like the corn plant is toxic too.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
A Christmas or Easter cactus, as they are called. They will get the most gorgeous blooms. You barely water them until a few months before they're due to bloom. Then you fertilize them and water them more often.

They don't need much sun--mine is in a northern facing window and it blooms at Easter. They come in pinks and reds and they're good for indoors because they like the dry indoor winter conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden