Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:53 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,809 times

Advertisements

I'm determined to have a good garden this year but we are inundated with rabbits. I can think of some illegal solutsion.

But I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas. I've tried marigolds which are supposed to be poisonous to them. They must be genetically superior because they eat them. Also tried hair and that doesn't phase them either. I'm thinking of building a small fence around the garden come spring.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 03:07 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
I have found using fox urine deters them and chasing them will get you some exercise but the only things that work real well are fences and shotguns.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:53 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,218,011 times
A little fresh game to go with all those garden greens. Rabbits are very good eating and healthy too as they have all white meat with very low cholesterol and fat content.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
Things that come to mind would be a fenced off garden, but the fencing will have to also be below ground level. The other thing would be outdoor cats or a dog in the area.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,134,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
I'm determined to have a good garden this year but we are inundated with rabbits. I can think of some illegal solutsion.

But I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas. I've tried marigolds which are supposed to be poisonous to them. They must be genetically superior because they eat them. Also tried hair and that doesn't phase them either. I'm thinking of building a small fence around the garden come spring.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
You might try juicing some hot pepper and spraying it on your veggies.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,809 times
Well I have a shotgun, and have eaten rabbit plenty of times. LOL
I'm within city limits so I can't shoot them.

I set snares for them last year and got a few.

I think the fence is the best idea. thanks everyone.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:11 AM

43 posts, read 305,501 times
We used a fence and also covered the top of our bed with chicken wire. The rabbits didn't get through at all. Of course, the beds were right next to our back door, and the rabbits also didn't come to close for that reason.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,271 times
I have the opposite problem...I planted radishes and carrots FOR the rabbits in my yard...they didn't go near them. The carrots survived all summer and then the cold winter and are still vibrant green, orange and happy. CRAZY.

Now the deer might be a different story...but they don't typically wander 'round to the front butterfly garden where I have all this.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,690,790 times
Used Cat litter.

A friend of mine is the chief horticulturalist for one of the garden plantations in SC. They spread used cat litter in the boundary line between the forest and the gardens. Since deer nor rabbits know the difference between cat and bobcat urine, they avoid those gardens like the plague.

Find someone who is willing to give you their used cat litter and you don't have to have a cat.

Since I don't live in a city, I'm putting in a "chicken moat" around our garden. It is a double-fenced-in-and fenced-roofed run around the garden for the chickens to be 'free range' - and keep out the bugs as well as the little predators.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 PM

35 posts, read 165,483 times
Use half inch hardware cloth around your fence instead of chicken wire, Ive found the smaller rabbits will squeeze through the holes in chicken wire. If your not against shooting them, you go out about once every half hour with a light and shotgun, or 22 rifle if you're a good shot and pick em off. Also dont count on a dog or cat running them off, Ive got a Redbone hound who'll chase anything with a scent and they still invade my garden...or try to.

Last edited by rebbel31; 02-25-2009 at 11:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden