Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 AM

264 posts, read 301,599 times

Advertisements

I have some weeds that I can't identify in my back yard..... well, I can't really ID anything but does anyone have any ideas about how to get ride of same??

2 pics attached.

MTIA
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Roundup doesn't seem to work on these weeds...Help!-100_1170.jpg   Roundup doesn't seem to work on these weeds...Help!-100_1171.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I can't identify your weed but I'm assuming this is not a current picture since it looks to be in full bloom. It will spread seed soon so you better pull them out before that happens. I've run across a few hardy weeds which are not touched by roundup and I just have to dig them up by the root and discard them by fire or grind them up. Don't put them in your compost pile. Some weeds (rattlesnake weed for example) spread by underground segments or bulbs like roots and they are almost impossible to kill by roundup. You might kill the top growth but they are not dead.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:40 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
When Roundup doesn't work, it's always user error. I'm not criticizing you. The label isn't crystal clear about the conditions you need to apply it under.

Flowering weeds will be harder to kill. Best to get them before they flower, but you can still try now. You just have to do the following:

1. Mix according to the package directions. You know that.
2. Spray on a cool and calm morning when you expect it to warm up in the afternoon. If the foliage is moist with dew or frost, that's best. The chemical is absorbed through the foliage and it is transferred down to the roots where it kills the plant. If the chemical dries on the foliage before it is relocated to the roots, it doesn't work. That's why you do not want any wind and also why the leaves should be moist before you spray. The longer it takes to dry, the better.
3. Be patient. A complete kill can take a week, maybe longer. You likely won't see any effects for the first few days. But if you follow the above instructions, it will work.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
To add to Tina's suggestions, another thing you can do is add a few drops of liquid dishwashing detergent to the Round Up. It's a surfactant and helps break down the leaf barriers to absorption of the Round Up.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Roundup QuickPro will decimated that sucker.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Roundup QuickPro will decimated that sucker.
It'll only kill 10% of it?

Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 PM

264 posts, read 301,599 times
I just bought it (Roundup extended control) gallon from Loews on Monday.

Do you think it's a good idea to add a few drops of liquid dishwashing detergent to the Round Up.??

Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM

167 posts, read 310,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
I just bought it (Roundup extended control) gallon from Loews on Monday.

Do you think it's a good idea to add a few drops of liquid dishwashing detergent to the Round Up.??
I always add the detergent. I read you don't have to use as much roundup (if doing it by concentrate) in the mix if you add detergent. I wouldn't use less if it is a tuff weed.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:49 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
When Roundup doesn't work, it's always user error. I'm not criticizing you. The label isn't crystal clear about the conditions you need to apply it under.
This is inaccurate. Some weeds such as nutsedge do not respond to Roundup due to their genetics. On many of these such as nutsedge where roundup doesn't work, MSMA knocks them down. It will take multiple applications as the plant reemerges to kill the bulbs but eventually it will kill it.

I'm not sure what particular weed is in the picture but it is possible that it is not susceptible to roundup.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:15 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Count me in the camp that thinks this plant will respond, you just haven't gotten the application right yet. I think this is most likely. Some plants don't respond, ok, but not many. Roundup is a chemical salt, as I recall, and acts like salting the soil would - but the plant has to drink the application in through the leaves.

Some plants are difficult because they do not aspire through the top of the leaf (I don't think yours is one of these), and one has to apply the Roundup to the underside of the leaf to be effective. I have some local (Massachusetts) broadleaf that gets huge and acts like that. Getting rid of it is actually easier digging it up then it is trying to do the Roundup.

If the plant doesn't have a taproot, like dandelion and some others do, simply using a hoe to uproot it can be effective. If it spreads via suckers and underground runners (doesn't look like your plant, think poison ivy and bittersweet), then a hoe isn't necessarily a good idea, you just make it grow more! But, for something tough, like poison ivy, I use a concentration quite a bit stronger then the recommended dilutions.

I actually think I may recognize your plant - but I don't know what the name of it is - I just recall seeing similar stuff.

Although I see this is in a bunch of leaves, you may have this stuff in your lawn. I've had pretty good luck in the past with regular applications of corn gluten. Some lawns and parts of the country it works great. In Tennessee that was our experience. Here in Mass it hasn't worked well for us. Can't say why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden