Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 02:47 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to Louisiana, and moved into our house in January. I could pull weeds every single day and never get finished! So I bought Preen, sprinkled the entire container on our numerous mulched beds, and looked forward to less weed-pulling. A month later, it hasn't made one bit of difference. I understand that SOME weeds will still grow after Preen, but every kind that was there before, keeps popping up.

Anyone else have good or bad experience with Preen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Yes, and Amaze too.

First kill all the weeds with round up.
Wait two weeks and roundup again.

Use Preen or Amaze to keep the weeds from germinating. Preen is like birth control pills for weeds.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yes, and Amaze too.

First kill all the weeds with round up.
Wait two weeks and roundup again.

Use Preen or Amaze to keep the weeds from germinating. Preen is like birth control pills for weeds.
I had used RoundUp at least 3 times over the course of a couple months before I used the Preen. I can't imagine why I still am getting so many weeds.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:19 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
I use the Preen for GARDEN BEDS granules for years. And am very pleased. Of course I also have double landscape fabric, and 2 inches off mulch too.

For my lawn - a yard service handles that. And I've been LESS than pleased.

I'll have to talk with them about that AGAIN. A guy two streets over has used them and his yard is always dark green and like a golf course. I've asked a couple of times why can't my yard look like that and if he get some extra level of service or treatments I don't. They say no. I do know he has a different grass than I do. And the service says, that, plus the conditions from block to block can make a difference. Sorry, I digress......

Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,866 times
You have to apply Preen under the mulch and on top of the mulch. Preen only prevents the germination of seeds/weeds. It won't prevent the weeds from growing that have already started to sprout. Like Charles said, it's like birth control for weeds.

Preen has worked pretty well for me.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
you can't expect any product to work if applied over mulch. remove the mulch, roundup weed and then put down preen.put mulch back on and watch to kill any that may have been missed.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
you can't expect any product to work if applied over mulch. remove the mulch, roundup weed and then put down preen.put mulch back on and watch to kill any that may have been missed.
Not really feasible. The mulch is pretty thick, and there are entirely too many mulched beds for me to go to that much work right now. (I'm in the middle of wallpaper removal & painting, and sanding/priming/refinishing every faucet and other misc items throughout the house. Busy girl!)

And honestly the weeds that I'm pulling are sprouting and growing in the mulch (roots aren't even down to the dirt). So Preening the dirt below won't stop the weeds from growing in the mulch. I just spent part of today applying RoundUp again. (I've tried to stay on top of the problem by pulling some of the weeds each day, but there's just too many.)

Old 04-06-2013, 07:39 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Is there a RoundUp that's safe for flower an vegetable garden beds?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
When I apply RoundUp in my beds, I'm careful to spray only the weeds, and not get it on the things I don't want to kill.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
"Broad spectrum" means just that. It will kill what it hits in an ornamental bed. So you have to be careful, spray when the wind is calm, and adjust the nozzle for a stream or heavy droplets. I've used a paintbrush mounted on a broom handle, and I also have one of those applicator thingies that lets you roll the product onto weeds. The problem with that thing is that it doesn't hold verymuch chemical and I'm always refilling it. Works great though. It is best to spray herbicides early in the morning when the temperatures are cool and the winds are calmest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden