Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times

Advertisements

When I lived in NYC, we had 5 peony bushes. 1 white and 4 pink. I think they were over 30 years old as my Grandmother planted them. They received full sun, were raised slightly. In the fall, the growth was cut and placed on the plant for winter protection. After the last frost, the covering was removed and bone meal was spread over the plants. [Don't use 10-10-10, you'll get fast growing, weak stems] Don't overwater. Every June, there was dozens of softball size flowers. The white bush was about 36" diam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 07:12 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Good drainage, bright sun and shallow planting are a must. I always was told peonies are very difficult to move but I did not want to leave some special ones behind when we moved from
Georgia to NC. I dug them up in March and they did very well, even the first spring. My biggest problem with peonies is ant infestation which made the blooms almost impossible tyo cut and enjoy inside.
They're a nightmare to move. The last time I tried was when I was in my 20s, and I couldn't move for three days afterwards. I'm a lot older than that now.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:34 AM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
My grandmother had a bunch of peony bushes. They were gorgeous. When she died, my brother moved into her house, and on a weekly basis mowed them down. For years. Poor things would peep their shoots out in the spring, and bam! My brother would mow them.

Finally after several years of this, I decided to "rescue" them. I dug them up and planted them in my yard, gave a couple away to my cousin. They came back like gangbusters, and are still going strong in that yard. My cousin's bloom every year, too.

(I've since moved away, and sadly they won't work in Louisiana as they need a cold dormant season to bloom.)

So, I don't know, was I just lucky when I moved them?

Old 05-28-2013, 06:29 PM

149 posts, read 343,151 times
Ive always heard that Ants on the Peony's have something to do with them blooming.If they dont have Ant's in and or around them they wont bloom.
I do have some beautiful Peony's really large bloom's and they always have big friendly Black Ant's.So I dont know.....Maybe transfer some Black Ants?? lol..

Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grettastone View Post
Ive always heard that Ants on the Peony's have something to do with them blooming.If they dont have Ant's in and or around them they wont bloom.
I do have some beautiful Peony's really large bloom's and they always have big friendly Black Ant's.So I dont know.....Maybe transfer some Black Ants?? lol..
That myth has been around for forever, and I always liked it because it seemed so logical, but unfortunately it is not true. The ants are attracted to the nectar produced in something called nectaries as the flower opens. You'll usually see that the ants disappear right after the peony has opened. That is because the nectar is no longer being produced. Some people have had a second" myth" as an explanation; that the ants are after the pollen, but if that were the case they would be equally all over all sorts of other flowers in the garden and wouldn't disappear as the flower opens.

Here is a plain English explanation debunking a few popular garden myths including this one. ISU Extension News Release
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden