Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times

Advertisements

Little brownish grayish ones have been eating my wife's flowers and plants, and have now dug holes to surface right in the middle of the garden itself. (This is in San Diego.) I've tried big mousetraps, smoke bombs, my favorite pellet gun. Pellet gun scored two, but you have to be there and be quick. We've got at least two more to worry about. We can't get a dog or cat, unfortunately.

Anybody know how to deal with these little critters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
A red fox in the neighborhood will do wonders.
They're good for cats too.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
A red fox in the neighborhood will do wonders.
Hmmm, I'd almost rather keep the rabbits. (just kidding)

Quote:
They're good for cats too.
Exactly. I see strained relations with the neighbors on the horizon.

Hmmm... If I can find someone who owns a dachshund or two, is it possible to borrow such a dog (neighbor permitting, of course) and point him at a rabbit hole, then stand back? Effective? Or would the dog simply not come up again, giving me yet another PO'd neighbor?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:30 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,038 times
Little,
The only thing I have found to be successful is a fence. I have a wire fence
I don't know what it is called, but if you go to Tractor Supply online, or in person,
they will know what kind of fence you need.
I bet even chicken wire will do, just make sure it is high enough to keep them out.
Now squirrels....whole different ball game, I gave up.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
Thanks for reminding me of these classics

Battle Chefs!! - YouTube

Rabbit season, duck season - YouTube

Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Dog
Liquid Fence
Fox Urine
Cayenne Pepper
Moth Balls
Coyote's
22 rifle

Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 AM

9 posts, read 21,644 times
Grow a rabbit patch of carrots and lettuces. They'll be sated and won't be so starved as to eat less preferred food as flowers. Make friends with them, give them names. Pet them and love them. That's what I would do. They are incredibly cute. I wouldn't shoot them.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:09 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Friend of mine sprinkles alum on his garden. Keeps rabbits and deer out. Probably a few other critters too, but those two were his main culprits.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean bean View Post
Grow a rabbit patch of carrots and lettuces. They'll be sated and won't be so starved as to eat less preferred food as flowers. Make friends with them, give them names. Pet them and love them. That's what I would do. They are incredibly cute. I wouldn't shoot them.
I don't bother any wildlife. Rabbits deal with plenty of predators both on the land and from the sky. I have wood rats or pack rats as well. They're cute and incredibly destuctive and not bright. Once, when I was coming in with my dogs a wood rat saw them and in panic mode hid under a chaise longe with no cushion. I hurried my dogs so they wouldn't notice. I get deer too but not so much in the summer. I really enjoy all of the animals here although I'm careful with bear; I've only had one on my property in five years, however.

In a month or so the prickly pear will bloom with the most beautiful wildflowers that exist. We've had a good bit of rain the last couple of weeks so this will be a great year for them.

Enjoy Nature.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Friend of mine sprinkles alum on his garden. Keeps rabbits and deer out. Probably a few other critters too, but those two were his main culprits.
I have the same problem with rabbits and powder repellants work - if you spend hundred of dollars a month broadcasting this stuff on your lawn. It is expensive. Lawns are vast. Rain and irrigation wash this stuff's effect away.

I don't know of a good solution for the front yard. For the backyard a person could use fencing but fencing would be ugly in the front yard.

I even tried buying three foot long rubber rattlesnakes (they look pretty authentic) and placed several of them around my lawn, and the rabbits looked at them, laughed, and flipped me off, and kept eating, pooping and peeing on my lawn.

You might try plastic owls. I say a really neat plastic coyote but it was like $75. I didn't try either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden