Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 09:54 AM

87 posts, read 121,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Definitely Rose of Sharon. I'd bet my life on it. We have many here, white ones as well as the one in your picture. Hummingbirds LOVE them.
You would lose your life then, because that leaf she posted a photo of looks nothing like a Rose of Sharon leaf:

This is a Rose of Sharon Leaf:

Her leaf looks like a Japanese Magnolia:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 09:55 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Nice Magnolia soulangeana which can also lightly bloom after leaf out.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvilleDUKESfan View Post
I believe it may be a magnolia variety with pinkish bloom. Hopefully these will unlock my mystery:

Here is the leaf -

Here is the bloom -
It is definitely a Japanese magnolia.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:05 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,350,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Scotsman View Post
You would lose your life then, because that leaf she posted a photo of looks nothing like a Rose of Sharon leaf:

This is a Rose of Sharon Leaf:

Her leaf looks like a Japanese Magnolia:
I know, I know. I was getting confused about who posted which photos.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 7,715 times
Tina, I am OP on the thread. I now have leaf and bloom shot posted.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 AM

5 posts, read 7,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Scotsman View Post
It is definitely a Japanese magnolia.
I don't think it is a Japanese magnolia

Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Nice Magnolia soulangeana which can also lightly bloom after leaf out.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
It is if you look at the pic of the flower and leaf she posted.

The original photo of the bush did more resemble a Rose of Sharon though.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:38 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,350,242 times
Quote:
Tina, I am OP on the thread. I now have leaf and bloom shot posted.
Thanks, yes I noticed that, and I stand corrected. Sorry about that!

Old 05-26-2013, 03:22 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,780,863 times
Bulldogdad seemed closest taking into consideration greenery, time of bloom and shape of bloom. I thought originally it may be one of the hybrids of the M soulangeana. I just haven't been able to find a picture consistent with all of the same features to have for a comparison.

One example of M. soulangeana would look like the following but it is an earlier bloomer:

Verbanica Saucer Magnolia (Magnolia x soulangiana "Verbanica") in Frankfort Chicago St Johns Tinley Joliet Illinois at Alsip Home and Nursery

It also had resemblances to one of the several magnolias referred to as the "girls" (because the entire series is all girls names) which are hybrids of M. soulangeana. Magnolia Cultivars

None of those look quite right as far as bloom bud shape but their other parent in the hybrid cross has that lily like shape: Magnolia liliiflora of which 'Paul Cook' and 'Doris' looked closest in shape and color. They will sometimes have their greenery come out concurrently with the buds developing and have the closest leaf shape to the OP's pictures. While M. liliiflora comes from China some have called it Japanese Magnolia. Magnolia liliiflora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only other variety that is similar is also a Magnolia soulangeana the cultivar is 'Dorsopurpurea'

Until the flowers open fully it will be a guessing game when ID'ing something with so many varieties and cultivars and hybrids between them. Color is rarely carried through on everyone's monitors so even then we could still be off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden