Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 7,615 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have struggled to find any forums/message boards that would discuss such topics so I hope this is the right place.

Basically, I have a stone (several hundred pound) 4 foot high fountain.

The pump goes inside the top part of the fountain (a piece that weighs 60lbs or so) so it is very hard to get running.

I am having to start from scratch here.. with a new pump, tubing etc.

The pump that was in it says it is rated at 80-300 GPH (Gallons per hour).

The biggest hassle with this fountain is getting the flow rate proper. Since you have to lift this heavy rock on the top that the tubing goes through to get to the pump.. you end up setting the pump at X rate -- and then putting it back together and the water flow will be too high (squirting too high) or too low..

I've looked around, but can't seem to find anything like this, but maybe you guys can help.

It would really be helpful to find a pump that had the flow adjuster NOT built onto the pump. Where it had a knob or some other device that was wired into the pump that I could feed out of the hole into the water or otherwise outside of the main piece where the pump resides. So I could adjust the pump flow rate when it is all together.

Do any such pumps exist with a flow adjuster that isn't built onto the pump (or is there someway to adjust the flow rate in the manner I'm speaking.. ) --

All the pumps I see have the typical turn dial adjuster on the pump which just doesn't work for this heavy fountain.

Thanks for any links, advice, tips, or help.

Sincerely,

Jared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
Jared,
You need a pump valve.
Go to a pond store.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the reply.

This configuration, just has a pump with the tubing going straight up about 16-18inches.

Mind elaborating on how I could have a valve rigged into an ordinary submersible fountain pump that is outside of the pump area.. say just laying in the water in the bowl of the fountain?

I don't need to move the water to any other sources and there is limited room, which is part of the issue here.

I'm really surprised there aren't any regular submersible fountain type pumps that have flow controls that can be fed outward from the pump a few feet for such tight spaces where adjusting the rate needs to be done away from the pump itself.

Or a similar pump in a DC mode that has such a knob (rheostat) like extension by wire that would adjust voltage and thus adjust flow rate.

Again this is pump probably needs to run somewhere around 180-200GPH -- thought the original pump was rated and adjustable from 80GPH - 300GPH.

The plastic tubing is at least 1/2" if not 3/4.. rather wide tubing, going up over a foot but less than two feet.

Thanks

Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
Chromatic,
After the water leaves the pump it travels up a tube that is mabey 1/2" wide and then what? That's it?
It spills out the top?
They sell a ball valve with those diameters I don't know if you put it on your tube where could you cut
the tube to install it so that you could easily reach it to control the flow.
So basically the fountain is about 5 to 5 1/2 ft tall right?
If you cut the tube at the top of the fountain so you didn't have to take the whole thing
apart, could you place a ball valve on it without it being conspicuous?
If not, I'm afraid you are going to have to either leave it the way it is, or take the heavy
top of it off again and hope to get it as close as possible to how you want it.
I am not familiar with a fountain pump that is made with a separate water regulator or ball
valve (and you have the problem of it being seen too).
I own a fountain pump so I responded to your post.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
I can see your problem, but I would just set it up the best I could.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We have several stores that sell nothing but pond supplies that can help you find exactly what you need, are there any in your area?

if not, perhaps e-mail one of these and ask, perhaps they ship.

Contact Russell Watergardens & Koi
Aquatic Products - Rock Mountain Products

Old 06-26-2013, 02:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
OP what your looking for in that configuration does not exist. Ususally most fountains have a small access door or hole that allows you to adjust the pump. However I've intalled a few that don't. You just have to have a partner to help you lift and replace the fountain piece until you have the flow where you want it.
PIA I know.

However if you do find one or how you solved the problem please share.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:17 PM

I'm going to try to place the pump outside the normal spot,and route the tube through a side hole underwater.. .. If that works then I can adjust the pump without touching anything.

Will update.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromatic View Post
I'm going to try to place the pump outside the normal spot,and route the tube through a side hole underwater.. .. If that works then I can adjust the pump without touching anything.

Will update.
Yup that works as well if you don't mind looking at the pump in the bowl.

Did you install an automatic fill valve?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:23 PM

Worked well.. re-installed it from scratch. New light kit, transformers, pump, tubing, etc.

I ended up placing the pump in the bowl, out of sight,.. and routed a short piece of tube through an access hole -- then used an L barbed connector at 90 degree's.. and attached a vertical tube upwards through the top.

So have full control of the pump. Just dissapointed with the pump I purchased -- the flow adjustment is not very dynamic. The max and min on the adjustment only change the water height 1/2 an inch.. But the flow works well.

If I need further adjustment I can easily add a ball valve with a T adapter in the tubing in the bowl from the pump itself.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
I'm thinkin we need pictures when it's finally set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden