Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:33 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times

Advertisements

Didn't want to hijack another thread so here goes.
How do you plan or design your landscaping and flower beds?
-- by color, by foliage, by just what you happen to like, growth habit?
-- what's your main factor and then your secondary ones?
-- do you move things, or what's they're in (for the most part) that's where they stay.
(Let's presume the spot is at least minimally good for the plant. Although I have been known to give a plant a third chance in a given location)

I ask because, for me, I've found it funny (interesting/strange) that I can like/love a plant/flower or shrub -- but only for a certain use or spot. Not that I haven't moved some plants from one spot to another I have. But for the most part I don't.

Do you find that when you like a plant or flower, you sort of want it where you want it to go -- and not in some other location. You'd think if you like it -- you like it, right? That as long as the spot is right for the plant-type that you'd be willing to put it anywhere just to have it, since you like it. But for me, I find I usually picture where and how I want a plant to go -- and that's it.

I've found that once a bed has certain things in it, others just won't look right, or fit with the look or flow.

new daawn started me thinking about this because she suggested I try Jacob's Ladder again (in the ground), and I realize I really only want it in my containers.

Also speaking of 'planning' a garden or landscaping...I HATE to see a house where you can tell just by looking the owner had NO plan...stuff just planted any old place. It's funny how EVEN with the garden is NEAT and TRIM .... it just "looks" like there's no rhyme or reason whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 02:42 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post

Also speaking of 'planning' a garden or landscaping...I HATE to see a house where you can tell just by looking the owner had NO plan...stuff just planted any old place. It's funny how EVEN with the garden is NEAT and TRIM .... it just "looks" like there's no rhyme or reason whatsoever.
Oh my, then do not come to my house!

One garden in particular is all volunteer natives... you'd hate it.
It's not even neat & trim.

Neighbors love it as much as we do though... many senior pictures/prom pictures have been taken in that garden.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Pitt Chick, I'm sure it IS gorgeous. Are you talking about the 'wildflower" look?
While it's not my style, it is growing on me. A really good friend likes that look, and so is 'educating' me about it.

Also, even a wildflower garden can seem 'organized' and not totally haphazard. I guess it's all about WHICH wildflowers are growing amongst each other, and the overall composition.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:04 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Since my back yard is mostly shaded by 200 yr. old English walnut trees, my choices are few. Caladiums, impatiens, and a variety of ferns are my favorites, and there are few areas with full sun. It's taken years, but my back yard is a walking tour through the past. Pine needled winding paths weave between flower beds and long needle pine trees, then through an 8 pane old kitchen door sitting ajar, which leads to a sitting area under the huge walnut trees, complete with an old fashioned Victorian chandelier hanging on a limb. The chandelier now has candles, and is easily lowered when I want them lit. I've shopped for years, all to add to the personality of my shabby chic escape. To add dimension, between the pine trees, I've tucked an old bureau mirror, barely visible but it is an eye catcher, and I've also added many small wind chimes amidst the pine trees. One especially beautiful area, is my shade loving, miniature pink clumbing rose, which covers an old potting shed. I ordered that rose from J & P 20 years ago, and the small pink roses have loved their location. In the few sunny areas I have, I've added an isolated perennial garden, patio and fountain, with beach grass as a background. It's a never ending project, and great for the garden parties I give. It's not all about gardening for me, but my goal has been to create a tranquil, interesting setting for all my guests to enjoy. The challenge for me, is to not add too much to the scene so that it remains interesting and chic, not junky. I've not changed my choices of plants over the years, and have not moved plantings around. They work where they are, and I love the look. I have become hooked on all of the huge caladiums - green, pink, red veined and last year I added a bed of burgundy ones....a lot of work digging up each year, but worth it to me. "Experts" would cringe, but I fertilize them with horse manure and they have been nothing less than huge and gorgeous. My back yard is for enjoyment. Each of us must find our own happiness, and I chose many years ago to throw the garden rule books out.

Last edited by rdlr; 01-01-2014 at 06:35 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 10:13 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Our gardens and yard are pretty much planned with the question "can I eat it" in mind. If it provides some sort of food or other good thing, and it's something we like, and it will grow well in our area, then we try to find room for it in the yard. Then we try to organize things so they look good. There's three raised bed vegetable gardens in the front yard, but they are kept tidy and have lots of flowers planted in them, too. There's fruit trees scattered about. The back yard has more fruit trees although there's not a raised bed garden there yet. We also plant forage for the critters. Currently, I'm looking for a seed source for Sea Island cotton.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Didn't want to hijack another thread so here goes.
How do you plan or design your landscaping and flower beds?
-- by color, by foliage, by just what you happen to like, growth habit?
-- what's your main factor and then your secondary ones?
-- do you move things, or what's they're in (for the most part) that's where they stay.
(Let's presume the spot is at least minimally good for the plant. Although I have been known to give a plant a third chance in a given location)
Do you find that when you like a plant or flower, you sort of want it where you want it to go -- and not in some other location. You'd think if you like it -- you like it, right? That as long as the spot is right for the plant-type that you'd be willing to put it anywhere just to have it, since you like it. But for me, I find I usually picture where and how I want a plant to go -- and that's it....

When I bought my house, I had definite goals around which I planned my gardening. I did a lot of research and planning, and made a lot of mistakes anyway. It was fun. If I remember correctly, my original goals were:
1. Native plants
2. Medicinal and edible ornamentals
3. Privacy and evergreens

I am not big on veggie gardens as they are a lot of work. I wanted plants you could eat, but which were part of a normal garden. For instance, I only have hollyhocks because I read they were edible.

I plan my gardens, sometimes for many months. That has not stopped me from making a ton of mistakes. Speaking of which, I have 5 shrubs I would like to move next year.

I have a woodland garden, and my vision of that is not really set in stone. I want it to look like warm lush woods. I saw a private garden before I moved in that has the look I want, but I haven't planned this on paper. I probably should. The vision is dark lush green and a lot of ferns. Kind of "east coast rain forest." The soil in the woodland is crap and that is a big challenge.

Part of my yard is a blank slate. I was not sure what to do with it, but I am now planning new gardens. I was inspired by the Blair garden in New Zealand. Janet Blair grew a lot of her hedges from cuttings (inspiring, right?), and did most of the garden herself. I love the way she has used trees and shrubs: Oasis in Arrowtown - NZ House and Garden

My secondary garden goals seem to grow and change. Currently they are:
1. Fragrance (BTW thanks to the CDers who suggested fragrant plants; I love the ones I added)
2. Fall Color
3. Winter interest aka not just evergreens

Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 PM

First -- I look at pics and mark all the plants/shrubs/flowers I like -- just for looks.
2) then I write down their needs/conditions/care/diseases
3) cross off anything that the site wouldn't be right -- OR need more care than I'm willing to do.
Too many diseases they're out. Too finicky they're out.

If I have more plants than space, then I whittle down to the ones whose looks I like MOST.
And keep whittling down. Even if I'm looking for something new. That's still the process, and those are the things I ask the nurserymen about. Everything has to pass those tests.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
What I do is..determine if the bed is shady or sunny. Then I go to the local garden centers throughout the whole season, and choose things that appeal to me. The best advise I ever got is to choose things only for the foliage, height and shape, and the flowers are just an added benefit.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What I do is..determine if the bed is shady or sunny. Then I go to the local garden centers throughout the whole season, and choose things that appeal to me. The best advise I ever got is to choose things only for the foliage, height and shape, and the flowers are just an added benefit.
That's a good rule of thumb. The flowers are only temporary, and most flowers will match any grouping of plants.

The only time I pay a lot of attention to the flower is for short annuals that go in hanging pots or in the beds on front of my house.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:46 PM

Foliage is a great topic. It will be interesting to see and read about what kinds of foliage people like -- or don't. It just depends -- the leaf shape, texture, size, color, etc.

Usually I'm not a mounding foliage kind of person. But it just depends. I LOVE lenten rose (helleborus) for its flower AND foliage -- and it mounds and flops a bit, but the total look of the plant -- the dark green shape and flower -- I just love.

BUT coral bells foliage no. (A friend who has them keeps recommending them and I'll say, "I don't know what it is but for some reason I just don't like it.)

And while I have them I can't say I'm in LOVE with hostas, although the foliage is clearly the main attraction of hostas. Let's just say they've grown on me.

It took a couple of seasons of saying no, and looking at them but finally I did by hollyhocks. I always loved the flower but for years said no because of the foliage. I finally gave in and said "look, you love the flower, the foliage is not THAT ugly. Go ahead and get it". And I've grown it for the past two years. Still not crazy about the foliage but I've given in because I LOVE the flower stalk.

I love that gardening allows us to be creative, have beauty around us, learn and grow -- and that new plants are also being developed that can hold our interest in gardening in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden