Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 6,708 times

Advertisements

I am building a greenhouse to germinate seeds in during March/April. I live in Connecticut. The greenhouse is going to be small (6' x 6' x 7'). I plan on building a wooden frame and covering it in greenhouse plastic. I'm nervous that the unpredictable weather of the Northeast will bring cold nights during these months. What could I do for a cheap, environmentally friendly heating source? I don't think i need a big heater for such a small space (so nothing propane or natural gas) and I'd like to stay away from an electric heater, although a small space heater is looking like the best option. Let me know what you guys think are other good heating options! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 05:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I have one even smaller that I heat whenever it's below freezing all winter, with some semi-hardy bonsai in it. For me safety was the biggest consideration, so I used an electric, oil filled. There is no exposed heating elements, and kept on a low setting to keep it at about 36F, it doesn't run up the electric bill. My bigger greenhouse is 7x7x12, and I don't heat it, just plant vegetables in May. I can start them inside, in a greenhouse window.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:59 PM

205 posts, read 272,697 times
I've been using a small electric heater in my 6x8 greenhouse. I run it once every hour or so for about 20 minutes when the temperature is predicted to stay below 25 all night. I only grow greens in the winter, so it does fine. The big thing is keeping the wind out when it goes below freezing.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:25 PM

Do you know anything about how effective painting soda liters black and filling them with water is? I was also thinking that I may be able to rig up some small solar panels, but seeing that this is not a big operation I don't know that that will be cost-efficient.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateye10 View Post
Do you know anything about how effective painting soda liters black and filling them with water is? I was also thinking that I may be able to rig up some small solar panels, but seeing that this is not a big operation I don't know that that will be cost-efficient.
That only works when you have sun all day and you have a lot of bottles. I noticed today on a rare sunny February day here my greenhouse was up to 50 inside while it was 37 outside, but even if I had bottles and they got to 50, it wouldn't last all night.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That only works when you have sun all day and you have a lot of bottles. I noticed today on a rare sunny February day here my greenhouse was up to 50 inside while it was 37 outside, but even if I had bottles and they got to 50, it wouldn't last all night.
Hmmmm. Good point. Sounds like something electric is the way to go. I'm not growing in the winter, just early spring, so hopefully I can get away with only needing the heater for a month or two. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 PM

Mine is on now, it's 25F outside and 38 in the greenhouse. BTW, I have the cord come in through a window that's left cracked open and sealed around the cord with foam rubber and duct tape, and use a portable GFI like this since it's outdoors:

Old 02-03-2014, 09:35 PM

Oh wow. Ok. That makes sense. Don't want to start a fire. That's while I'll do then. Seems like the best option. Maybe put it on some type of timer. Okay. Great. Thank you so much!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Consider 'annualized solar' for heating a greenhouse. It is basically using excess summer heat to get through the winter (heating a 'mass' / or thermal storage, usually UNDER the greenhouse).

There is a guy in Spokane who is the USA guru, tho Japan has the highest level of research on annualized solar.

I recently saw a use of a 30,000 gal rain water recycle tank used for such. They dug a 'swimming pool' sized hole in the backyard, laid in a pool liner (extra big) Stacked plastic milk cartons to form a tank structure, and wrapped the milk cartons up in the liner (Like a Christmas gift), then backfilled. MUCH easier / cheaper than a concrete tank. They get free water + ability to run a very inexpensive GS heat pump.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 AM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times
I'm wondering if you have to heat the whole greenhouse. They make heaters that will just heat the roots-you put them on a table and put the seed starter things on top.

Not sure if that'll work once the seeds sprout but it'll at least save you a bit before then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden