Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 06:53 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,511,188 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to mass plantings for impact and ease of maintenance. After their first year in the ground, I don't baby my plants. I do try new ones, buying just one and seeing how they do and if they thrive I either get more or wait and divide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 07:55 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I’m in zone 7B and for the most part I’ll plant things hardy to zone 6 if I want them to survive winter. An extra zone buffer to be safe.

Most of my plants are in containers. Often when I’ve lost plants it’s due to poor choice in soil, moisture, light, etc. that I didn’t get right. Sometimes I’ll try again and fix those issues.

Old 11-27-2020, 06:08 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Would you learn from your trial and error that the plant simply will not grow in your area?
Anything Tropical. Not worth the time, money, and effort. I was even bringing them inside every fall in the warm rooms. Problem wasn't the room temps in the winter (65+)..it's the dryness. They hated the dry air. My Lemon plant survived a good 5 yrs but after one winter inside it just gave up.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:22 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I had an oleander die during a cold winter, and I have not replaced it.
I lose more plants to the hot summers than to the cold winters.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:01 PM

19,771 posts, read 22,673,762 times
We try to keep our plants as native as possible, certainly one's that can have a shot at making it thru brutal winters.

But some things we have certainly said 'Not Again'.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:38 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I heard something about that in my gardening class recently but I’m having trouble remembering specifics. Something about getting the older varieties...the ones that actually have to be trimmed and shaped to get that lovely rounded look because the newer ones that self shape tend to be less hardy.
I've still been hit and miss with overwintering mums in the ground. My best results have been from potted mums stored in the garage from December through March (zone 6a/5b).

I haven't heard the advice you received, but I don't doubt it at all. Mums at Home Depot and Walmart are definitely marketed as a seasonal decoration, much like poinsettias. Nobody expects them to survive more than a couple months.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:04 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I heard something about that in my gardening class recently but I’m having trouble remembering specifics. Something about getting the older varieties...the ones that actually have to be trimmed and shaped to get that lovely rounded look because the newer ones that self shape tend to be less hardy.
I've got two rounded cushion mums that started out in 3 in. pots. They're now in their 2nd year and about 2 ft. tall and wide and nice round balls. I also have two mums in the back garden bed that started in 2 in. pots that are about 3 ft. tall and 4 ft. wide but they're unshaped and running wild. They're also in their 2nd year and were a total surprise as far as size. They all get full sun but the rounded ones have poorer soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden