Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

I planted a 7 ft tall weeping white pine a few days ago. Today I read that it doesn't do well in clay soil, which is the type of soil I have. I did add compost to the soil when I planted it. I should have researched it before planting, but I didn't, so here I am. Is there anything I can do at this point that might increase it's chances of living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 07:29 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I planted a 7 ft tall weeping white pine a few days ago. Today I read that it doesn't do well in clay soil, which is the type of soil I have. I did add compost to the soil when I planted it. I should have researched it before planting, but I didn't, so here I am. Is there anything I can do at this point that might increase it's chances of living?
It will live IMO, because at least the clay soil in Jersey tends to be highly acidic and leached of calcium and is in fact low in calcium overall, so that is at least one factor that is in its chance of living, it may not thrive but it won't ever develop chlorosis in your area because of your local soil pH.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
It will live IMO, because at least the clay soil in Jersey tends to be highly acidic and leached of calcium and is in fact low in calcium overall, so that is at least one factor that is in its chance of living, it may not thrive but it won't ever develop chlorosis in your area because of your local soil pH.
Thank you.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Would weeping Pine want different growing conditions than regular White Pine? I have clay soil here and White Pines have thrived in it. We got them all over and my mini ones have done well. Not sure where you bought yours but the person or place should have more info for you on what it needs.

Put it this way... we don't have much loam soil around so the Pines have adapted to Clay and Sandy soils.. I think you'll be fine with some additives but like I said...consult the pro who grows them

Old 05-12-2014, 05:49 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Can you take a soil sample to the local nursery or cooperative extension office? They can test it and suggest if you need to add something even if it is on top, it will leach down with rain or watering.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Would weeping Pine want different growing conditions than regular White Pine? I have clay soil here and White Pines have thrived in it. We got them all over and my mini ones have done well. Not sure where you bought yours but the person or place should have more info for you on what it needs.

Put it this way... we don't have much loam soil around so the Pines have adapted to Clay and Sandy soils.. I think you'll be fine with some additives but like I said...consult the pro who grows them
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Can you take a soil sample to the local nursery or cooperative extension office? They can test it and suggest if you need to add something even if it is on top, it will leach down with rain or watering.
Thanks. Since I mixed compost in with the soil when I planted it, will that effect the results? Should I wait a while before bringing in the sample? I would imagine a sample in the general vicinity should be fine, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden