Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:03 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
Bunnies need to eat in the winter. This winter was hard with the deep snow. I had a few trees that were ringed (bark eaten all around) by rabbits at the snow heights, First time in 15 yrs. To help them stay away from my important plants and trees I create brush piles away from them on my property with fresh tree branch trimmings so they have something to eat during the winter. In the spring I can either remove it for fire starter or add to it for the next year. The brush piles also allow the small birds roost out of the wind and hide from the hawks.
I have found out through experience that if they have an easy source of food they will leave your garden alone. Especially if it has some distance from the garden and flowers. My 10 Acres has 5 Acres of cropland, 1 Acre of orchard, 1-1/2 acres around house, the rest in conservation land for the animals. it has a pond and creek. Trees that fall there are left to rot (I'm Lazy) It allows the wild raspberries, wild Grape, Wild Rose, Mulberries, and Wild Flowers to thrive.

I have planted over 200 trees in the wild areas (wind Breaks (400 ft 20' wide)Noise shielding from road) to provide diversity for the wildlife. Oaks, Walnuts, Popular, Pine, Spruce, Hard Maples, and flowering trees.
Wow this sounds cool! I'm kind of trying to do the same with my yard on a smaller scale. Good job on the trees. I'm planting more natives in my woods to make it more beautiful, reduce erosion etc etc...and it is HARD. Getting to them to water them and protecting them from the darn deer until they get big enough is a big job. Kudos to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 03:32 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Watch her collect the Straw then bring it to the hole and even put it into the hole. Then watch her eat my String bean leaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0txdsgz4pY

Old 06-01-2015, 03:37 PM

By the way,.... that's too cool. This morning I found the hole covered up. They do this so predators don't realize a nest is there. and maybe because of the rains too?

If I didn't see her build it, I would never know its there unless she was sitting on it.. wow.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:36 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Watch her collect the Straw then bring it to the hole and even put it into the hole. Then watch her eat my String bean leaves.
Thanks for the video Cambium

I too have a mama rabbit in my back yard for the last couple of years and have produced several generations of babies. She has loss the fear of humans (or just me?) and will lay down under the shade of tree just watching me doing my yard work. The babies have grown up thinking we are just a part of nature, they've known to run within 5 feet past us with no fear. For some reason, the babies eventually move away perhaps this is mama's territory?

Same with the local birds. Some of them follow me as close as within a few feet as I mow my backyard to pick up bugs turned up by the mower.

Speaking of birds, that's how I found out that my wife is a Republican. But we digress

Old 06-02-2015, 12:22 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Loved the video of mama bunny, Cambium. She certainly found a plentiful, well stocked garden of Eden to raise her young.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:35 AM

Thanks & Thanks.

I don't understand she doesn't seem to have returned to the nest. It's still covered. But I always see her eating my grass in the area.

Do they keep the nest covered until she's ready to have the bunnies?

Was it a coy?

Was it just a workout?

Old 06-13-2015, 04:15 AM

Anyone have an idea why a Rabbit would dig and spend time making a nest then not returning? I have not touched the nest or gone within 3 feet of it but I haven't seen her anymore.

Do they simply make a few nests and then have the babies where ever they are closer to?

Strange.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:18 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
Maybe she didn't look both ways before crossing, or a Red tail had itself a nice lunch?

Old 06-14-2015, 08:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I tried coyote urine to repel the deer but it only brought more coyote to our yard.
we live beside some very thick woods and I hear coyote howling all the time. Even saw a few in the day time. You don't want to be messing with coyote.

We got tired to spray for deer so finally got a nice (and expensive) deer fence for the back yard and moved what was left of daylilies, etc back there. Installer put chicken wire all around the bottom to keep rabbits out but it has 3 gates and two of them have gaps which would be near impossible to close. Rabbit damage has been terrible. I planted 5 new blue fescue plants and the next day 4 of them were nibbled to the ground. So now DH will be spraying for rabbits in front and back yard. We just can't win.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:35 AM

404 posts, read 385,464 times
Whenever i see a bunny, it makes me smile. They're just so doggone cute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden