Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:21 PM

240 posts, read 423,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Can you post some pics? I'm still wondering why it burnt in patches. It could have been application technique as much as over fertilizing.

Ditto with the other comments regarding "slow n steady" fertilizers- better slow and green vs fast and crispy lawns. Organic is less likely to burn your lawn ( can still do it, but you have yo work at it).

Mowing with a mulching mower and not bagging your clippings is a good way to return nitrogen and mulch to your lawn. Thatch build up is like cellulite - it's a marketing ploy to scare the unsuspecting homeowner to undertake even greater tasks (and costs) in the quest for the elusive (and fictional) fictional "perfect lawn".

Thank you

Here are pics of a few of the burnt patches. One is a close up pic.

Funny thing is, I was mowing my lawn yesterday and my neighbor's brother walked over. He told me my lawn wasn't burned and that the patches are normal after fertilizing. Huh?

I'm thinking I might have overlapped when spreading the fert. I have a bag on my mower but it left behind a lot of grass clippings. I left the clippings on the grass instead of raking them up.

(click each photo for larger image)

Dethatched, fertalized my lawn - now it's burning-232323232-fp83232_uqcshlukaxroqdfv47-4-ot_2658-487-4

Dethatched, fertalized my lawn - now it's burning-232323232-fp83232_uqcshlukaxroqdfv66-4-ot_33-6-_68

Dethatched, fertalized my lawn - now it's burning-232323232-fp83232_uqcshlukaxroqdfv93-6-ot_33-6-_68
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 12:26 PM

240 posts, read 423,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Regarding watering your lawn once it gets established. once a week for about an hour or 1.5 is all you will need - if no rain- as long as you aren't losing your water to evaporation because of watering at the wrong time. Always early morning hours, never before dark cause damp grass invites disease.

more people kill grass and shrubs and flowers by over watering rather than under watering. same for houseplants.
We did get a lot of rain the past few days so it should be fine for now.

When watering, I would water in the afternoon so I will have to change that. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
1. Fix your mower bag
2. Those look like fert burn patches to me.
3. Most likely due to inadequate water coverage and/or too much fert.
4. It appears your mowing when grass is too long and/or wet.
5. Only take 1/3 or less from the height of the grass blade at any one time.
6. Clumps of cut unmulched grass from mowing can turn your lawn brown.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Looks to me like you got a bit too much fertilizer in spots. It'll fill in. Water it when it gets dry and it should be fine in another month.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:34 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,079 times
Some spreaders will clog so the handle doesn't disengage at the end of a row. You can get a heapin' clump of fertilizer as a result as you toggle the handle.

I'm getting the idea you're using a commercial vs organic brand, yes? It's easier to burn your lawn with small application mistakes than with a slow-release dry organic mix. Practice your application technique and turns on a sidewalk or driveway. This will troubleshoot and eliminate equipment or user errors.

If you ever think you've over fertilized a spot, try to scrape up/ remove the excess fertilizer instead of washing it away.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:43 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
Thank you

Funny thing is, I was mowing my lawn yesterday and my neighbor's brother walked over. He told me my lawn wasn't burned and that the patches are normal after fertilizing. Huh?

I'm thinking I might have overlapped when spreading the fert. I have a bag on my mower but it left behind a lot of grass clippings. I left the clippings on the grass instead of raking them
I think he was pulling your leg! Unless your turf was brown to begin with, no fertilizer should make it "brown" before turning it green! Your instincts were right to question this!

As others have said, leaving behind hunks of chopped lawny-bits is a no-no. I am an advocate of returning clippings to the soil/ground, but you can't leave piles on your lawn as you've found out.

Spend a few bucks and have your mower blades sharpened. BIG difference in your mowing experience and outcome. Keep us posted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden