Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:22 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Yeah...Im taking all your advise... I see the weeds coming up from using Hay 2 years ago. What a disaster.

I thought maybe the one I bought this year because the Bale sat for so long, the seeds would be too dry or rotted to germinate.. Maybe not. Can't take the chance.

I'll just use it in the compost pile I guess let it cook in there. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 05:18 PM

Decided to buy a bale... Are you sitting... 2 for $35 USD.

What do you think of the type here. Looks god. Smells natural.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:07 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Decided to buy a bale... Are you sitting... 2 for $35 USD.

What do you think of the type here. Looks god. Smells natural.
Ouch! Had to go check my local Craigslist and square bales of straw are running 3 to 5 bucks a bale.

I hope the stuff you got proves to be super great for your garden.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Ouch! Had to go check my local Craigslist and square bales of straw are running 3 to 5 bucks a bale.

I hope the stuff you got proves to be super great for your garden.
I know I live in one of the most expensive area of the country but WOW! Is it the same as what I got? Did you zoom into the label to see the comparison?

Mine is very fine and pure, was awesome last year but yeah...insanely expensive.

I wonder if your guy delivers up north. lol

I found these on craigslist but how do I know it's the same as the Stew Lenords bale I got?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search...+bale&sort=rel

Old 05-25-2014, 05:16 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Cam, what one buys here is directly from the guy growing it. Usually a bit of a discount if you go and pick up the bales directly from the field right where the baling machine drops them. Go out to his pastures and load up your pick up & trailer full. It was fun the first time I got to see a baling operation live. The machine goes along, a certain amount of hay or straw is gathered up goes through some sort of chute to form a tightly packed rectangle, the baling twine is automatically wrapped and tied and then the bale gets "pooped" out the back end.

The fewer bales the farmer has to gather up from the fields and store out of the weather the better it is for him so you can understand why there is a discount to get the stuff moved just after its gets cut and baled. It's just about time for the first cutting around here and perhaps some have already started but I've been house bound since Tuesday due to illness and now that I'm finally feeling better my car has a dead battery, something is draining it but I don't know what. I'll wait until Tuesday for my regular mechanic to be back to work, no dire need to go anywhere, just wanted to haul the garbage to the dumpster.

Clearly the stuff your buying already bagged is very different from what we can get locally but it looks to me like it will serve your needs rather well.

Just for fun here's a link to a short video of baling with a horse drawn unit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psST22LiWQ8

Last edited by zugor; 05-25-2014 at 05:43 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 05:20 PM

30,516 posts, read 16,213,477 times
you might also mention you're using it for mulch, not feed. He may have some some place he can't sell for feed for some reason and would love to get rid of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden