Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 AM

974 posts, read 1,898,196 times

Advertisements

Ditto on the viburnum. You should be experiencing a wonderful scent, too! Might want to get in there after blooming season and tidy up some of those overlapping branches.

So glad the native varieties of this shrub are being used again in new public installations and homes. The native is a versatile plant. Some places consider the cultivars an invasive.

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...cnr_010280.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 10:36 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Wow, are you a lucky duck to have inerited such a mature specimen! I love "snowball bush", but don't have one. There is a really large in at an old house in town, though, that blooms beautifully every year and I get to enjoy it as I drive to and from the store.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:37 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,943 times
Thanks everyone! I was waiting for more to confirm, but was way too excited to learn I have a hydrangea
My FMIL couldn't think of the name of the tree and when I told her, she said that's it! She knows many 'old ladies' who grew them in Brooklyn. She knows one lady in her 90s who still has a hydrangea from when she was a kid.

It's amazing that all the plants that were planted at the house are healthy. There are lots of hostas, a couple of azaleas, and a rhododendron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yep, yep......snowball bush/tree! Love them, both while green and after they turn that gorgeous, creamy white! In fact, I've got a bouquet of them on the dining room table, right now! Enjoy! You can keep the pruned and you'll get the nicest, fullest, loaded bush!!
The green has actually started to turn white. I thought the tree was done blooming, but good to know the white is normal.

I actually trimmed the tree before it bloomed a while back, but it really needs a trimming on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Wow, are you a lucky duck to have inerited such a mature specimen! I love "snowball bush", but don't have one. There is a really large in at an old house in town, though, that blooms beautifully every year and I get to enjoy it as I drive to and from the store.
The house is from the 1940's, I wouldn't be surprised if it was planted that long ago.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:41 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
Thanks everyone! I was waiting for more to confirm, but was way too excited to learn I have a hydrangea
Were you kidding about the hydrangea, or were you referring to the fact that another one of the plants in your yard is a hydrangea? Because a viburnum is not a hydrangea.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Were you kidding about the hydrangea, or were you referring to the fact that another one of the plants in your yard is a hydrangea? Because a viburnum is not a hydrangea.
Sorry, yes I was referring to another plant in my yard that is a hydrangea.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:31 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Still, to this day, it's one of the "coolest" shrubs there are. The one we have, also likely was put in not long after the house was built in '32, but decades of neglect/abuse were not kind to it. Over the years, I've taken it from a gnarly, twisted, weird looking object, back to a nice, neat, tidy fellow.

My poor MIL, LOL. With 11 kids, 6 of them boys?....the poor woman had to fight tooth and nail to protect anything "plant like" on this place. I truly believe that's one of the reasons that she was so tickled for hubby and I to buy the old family place. She remembered what it looked like BEFORE she had all those kids and wanted to see it beautiful again!

Smart move on MIL's part. Sell it to the only children with landscaping and handyman skills!

Old 06-01-2014, 01:02 PM

I have a few more that need identifying, if I could have more help.

1) I thought this may be a type of viburnum, specifically viburnum tinus, but the ones I found on Google were all five petals, while these have some four. The flowers feel...I don't know how to describe it, rubbery? The plant is in need of some TLC:

2) This was such a small little thing a couple of weeks ago, now it's growing tall. I don't know where to begin to even identify it. It looks like a type of tree, maybe?

3) This one also started growing fast. It was hard to spot at first, since it was behind a hosta. Now, it's taller than it.

4) Apology for the blurry pic, but I've spotted at least a dozen of these little guys. I thought they were a weed at first, but it has a seed:

Sorry for all the pics and questions. I'd just like to be able to care for these guys.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:58 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I have a few more that need identifying, if I could have more help.

1) I thought this may be a type of viburnum, specifically viburnum tinus, but the ones I found on Google were all five petals, while these have some four. The flowers feel...I don't know how to describe it, rubbery? The plant is in need of some TLC:

2) This was such a small little thing a couple of weeks ago, now it's growing tall. I don't know where to begin to even identify it. It looks like a type of tree, maybe?

3) This one also started growing fast. It was hard to spot at first, since it was behind a hosta. Now, it's taller than it.

4) Apology for the blurry pic, but I've spotted at least a dozen of these little guys. I thought they were a weed at first, but it has a seed:

Looks like a lot of weeds to me.

And weeds do grow from seeds.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:29 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
#1 is a Miss Kim Lilac.

It grows into a fairly compact bush with lots of short branches and smaller, tighter flowers than "regular" lilac; not really suitable for cut flowers but the scent is the same heavenly lilac scent
The leaves are smaller than regular lilac as well.

#4 is an oak tree growing from an acorn

#3 might be a very young mulberry tree; the early leaves don't have the distinguishing notch in them yet. Unless you want one, get rid of it early; they grow very fast (but won't bear fruit the first year, or even the second). Birds love the berries as much as people do--if not more.

#2 - had one of those growing too, and was waiting to see what it would turn into, but Hurricane Sandy uprooted other trees around it and it didn't make it. Thought it might be in the cedar family but could be totally wrong. I'm hoping that the birds will present me with another one somewhere

Old 06-02-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Looks like a lot of weeds to me.

And weeds do grow from seeds.

Are you talking about the background on image #4? I had planted some mums in that same pattern in the fall. I didn't think they would make it in the harsh winter we had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden