Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 03:55 PM

9 posts, read 26,291 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am new to gardening and have a raised bed with some dwarf trees, veggies and large flowers. Hand watering is becoming a pain and I can't seem to get the formula right for how much and when to deliver water to my plants.

I am thinking a drip will be the best system? What are the advantages and is it the best way to irrigate? Is is simple enough for me to do myself or am I best off hiring a gardener who can do the initial set up for me?

Lastly, drip vs soaker hose?

THANK YOU KINDLY FOR YOUR INPUT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 07:12 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,603 times
Soaker hoses are best when you're tightly planted say in a vegetable or perennial garden.

Drip lines (one or 2drip heads off a feeder pipe) are best when you have specific plantings you're targeting -- grape vines on a trellis, containers on a deck, etc.

From what you're planting it sounds like a soaker is better. You can still run drip line similar to different "zones" in an irrigation system. If you can post pics of your garden, it would help!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I have both. I use a soaker hose for my bonsai, young trees in the ground and for the greenhouse vegetable garden. I use drip for some shrubs and grapevines. Anyone can set up a drip system, but do some research into how much water the plants need and spend for a good timer. Cheap ones fail and you end up with dead plants. The drip emitters vary in how much water they deliver, and there's a big difference between 1/2 gallon or 4 gallons per hour. After you set up either systm you must check daily to ensure that you are watering enough and change the timer settings as needed. I find that I have to change them 2-3 times a year, when it gets hot in mid-July, and again in early September when it starts getting cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden