Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times

Advertisements

When I first joined CD and trying to think of a good user name it was a toss up between No Kudzu and No Mimosa. Imagine my surprise to find out so many people don't know what kudzu is (I get a DM every few months asking what it is) and that people actually PLANT Mimosa in their yard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM

323 posts, read 499,435 times
I have a Mimosa nursery going on here. You have to file the seeds, then soak them overnight. Plant them in pots in a sunny window

Old 07-21-2014, 06:50 PM

I wish I hadn't read that. I'll have nightmares all night. Mimosa have absolutely no trouble germinating around here without filing the seed.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
I have a Mimosa nursery going on here. You have to file the seeds, then soak them overnight. Plant them in pots in a sunny window
Maybe I didn't knick mine enough. If not, I somehow have a load of Pride of Barbados. I could have some Mexican jumping seeds because what should be (marked) mimosa's may be winding up to be POB's. I hear and see nothing of the seed sprouting all around the trees here. Our drought conditions likely prevent this from happening. Texas Mountain Laurel does self germinate all around the trees. Funny how many self germinate easier than we can make them.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
Alternatively, you can just dig up and pot up the seedlings you find in your garden beds. I did that with a few yesterday -- for friends, not for us!

Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
When I first joined CD and trying to think of a good user name it was a toss up between No Kudzu and No Mimosa. Imagine my surprise to find out so many people don't know what kudzu is (I get a DM every few months asking what it is) and that people actually PLANT Mimosa in their yard!
Mimosa's are growing more and more popular here, which I think is ok since they don't become invasive in this area.
Kudzu was found here a few years back in leamington on Lake Erie, which was shocking to me. I didn't think it could survive up here, but I guess I was wrong. It had completely covered the embankment from the beach to the road before it was discovered. Amazing how fast that plant can grow! Hopefully they got it all, as it's so invasive and I know what it has done in the Smokey Mountains!

Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
My dad says mimosa trees are the only things that could live through a nuclear blast. lol

Old 07-22-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My dad says mimosa trees are the only things that could live through a nuclear blast. lol
and kudzu too.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:00 AM

552 posts, read 1,055,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Maybe I didn't knick mine enough. If not, I somehow have a load of Pride of Barbados. I could have some Mexican jumping seeds because what should be (marked) mimosa's may be winding up to be POB's. I hear and see nothing of the seed sprouting all around the trees here. Our drought conditions likely prevent this from happening. Texas Mountain Laurel does self germinate all around the trees. Funny how many self germinate easier than we can make them.
>Our drought conditions likely prevent this from happening<

And lots of snakes this year. The snakes are just looking for water. Unfortunately, they seem to be finding it in peoples yards!

Speaking of Mountain Laurel, I had to sand those seed between two pieces of sandpaper and pour boiling water over to sprout well. Btw, Texas Redbud can be grown from seed the same way but you need to put them in the refrigerator first for at least a month, then sand the shell coating and plant where you want them. I did that work 20 years ago and lined my driveway in Kerr county with several hundred, just sweat
and my rockbar - time did the rest.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,582 times
There's lots of discussion about a lot of bad trees (I'm surprised no one complained about Bradford Pears yet) but not a whole lot of helpful suggestions. If it were me, I would plan a Southern Magnolia. Magnolia grandiflora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . They are attractive, evergreen, healthy long lived tress with beautiful fragrant flowers. The growth may be a little slower than you hoped, but a mature magnolia is well worth the wait.

Drive around some old ritzy neighborhoods and you will see this is a landscape tree that has stood the test of time. It will add a lot of value to your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden