Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,417,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A few days ago I read in the local paper that it's already time to pick the flowers off the tomatoes because they won't have enough time to turn into tomatoes. Mine are loaded with flowers but I did chop the tops off because my tomatoes are indeterminate and would have kept going forever. May as well let all the energy go into making tomatoes that have a chance of ripening.

Yes, last summer was the most horrible summer ever. Sickening, it was so hot. This year is like paradise

Even if your 'maters are green, some will ripen inside, and if they don't you can make a great chutney from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 05:47 PM

205 posts, read 273,250 times
My tomatoes are still doing ok. We've had a bunch already, maybe 30 pounds. I have to admit though, the garden seems to be waning earlier this year.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:02 PM

83,596 posts, read 75,595,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Even if your 'maters are green, some will ripen inside, .
For some reason this has never worked for me. Tried the paper bag thing and other ways. Nope, they mold or soften up before turning red.

Taste is pointless anyway so now I will make this green tomato sauce from them. Green Tomato Salsa Verde - Ball® Fresh Preserving

Old 08-12-2014, 08:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,959,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
For some reason this has never worked for me. Tried the paper bag thing and other ways. Nope, they mold or soften up before turning red.

Taste is pointless anyway so now I will make this green tomato sauce from them. Green Tomato Salsa Verde - Ball® Fresh Preserving
We have always had good luck with them ripening inside. When we lived in NM we would pull the plants out about mid Oct and wrap each tomato in newspaper, then gently put them in a box. About 3 weeks later or so, unwarp them. Most would be nice and red and ready to be used. We are careful not to let them touch each other while ripening. I don't know if that makes a difference and we make sure they are somewhere that is relatively warm, usually the kitchen. I have tried just papers bags or hanging the plant upside down in the basement or garage, that has never worked for us. We did that while living in Va.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:28 AM

738 posts, read 1,002,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

When our season comes to an end, I pick all green tomatoes and lay them on a thick, newspaper lined, sheet of plastic in a single layer, not touching in our basement. Then I cover them with a thick layer of newspaper and check them every day, removing ones that have spoiled or that are ripe.

I have not used the paper bag or upside down method, but from my experience, there seems to be a trigger point that picked tomatoes will ripen or they wont so that may be why you have not had much success. When I have done this, there are always some tomatoes that I have to toss, but depending on the growing year, I usually end up with enough that it significantly extends my growing season.

I wish I enjoyed green tomatoes enough that I could utilize them, but I guess I just don't appreciate the unripe taste. I have not found a green tomato sauce/salsa, or green tomato relish or fried green tomato dish that's worth the effort. But that may actually be my stubborn brain regulating my taste buds since I don't enjoy nor do I grow a tomato that's any color but some shade of red. Yeah...I'm just weird that way...

Although my plants aren't nearly as large as they have been in previous years, the tomatoes I'm harvesting are of excellent quality. The Linguisas are coming in like crazy now with large, beautifully shaped fruit. The plants that I thought were Mortgage Lifter turned out to be Abe Lincoln (which explains why they are so small...lol) and are producing a consistent crop. The Ruby Pearls have been excellent picking and are so hardy that they will produce until it begins snowing here. But the biggest surprise have been the German Johnsons. This has been the best year for them e-v-e-r and they are absolutely huge in comparison to previous years. My green peppers have also been excellent, but my beans have been abysmal...oh well... Just holding out now for carrots. Keeping my fingers crossed.

RVcook

Old 08-12-2014, 10:52 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,417,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have always had good luck with them ripening inside. When we lived in NM we would pull the plants out about mid Oct and wrap each tomato in newspaper, then gently put them in a box. About 3 weeks later or so, unwarp them. Most would be nice and red and ready to be used. We are careful not to let them touch each other while ripening. I don't know if that makes a difference and we make sure they are somewhere that is relatively warm, usually the kitchen. I have tried just papers bags or hanging the plant upside down in the basement or garage, that has never worked for us. We did that while living in Va.

That's exactly how we did it...individually wrapped in newspaper, then put in box.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM

692 posts, read 1,709,060 times
posted on the first about just cherry.......today have 6 early girls waiting to be harvested

Old 08-12-2014, 04:48 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,301,018 times
Ours are still going strong; got a gallon of spaghetti sauce almost ready to can. There will be another harvest in a day or two. LOTS of Romas, which is awesome!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:24 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,229,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My first big southern gardening lesson was that tomatoes can't set fruit over 74 degrees, so my first season was a total bust.
Good to know. Thank you!

Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,197,005 times
I've been harvesting more than I can use and only from 5 plants in containers on the back deck. Picked 10 today and found 2 or 3 which had rotted on the vine. Arghhh.... so mad at myself for letting that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden