Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:03 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,884,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
They are ALL OVER the Kansas City area, and everyone who has them HATES them. As Stagemomma says, the gumballs are a nightmare. Once you've collected them though, they are great slug and snail barrier, and if you mound them high enough around things rabbits love to eat, they'll stay away as well.

Not much beats a sweet gum for fall color though, and the leaf shape is very elegant and beautiful.

We opted for the much smaller and less offensive Black Gum.
Well, now, maybe the universe is aligning, because the second most annoying nemesis in my yard is the critters that ate my blueberries and/or live under my bedroom. I might be able to work this out........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,213,325 times
[quote=no kudzu;37035591]why would anybody want to grow a sweet gum tree when there are so many other beautiful choices. I broke some bones in my elbow a few years ago after tripping on sweet gum balls and you haven't lived through pain until your older brother and his friends pummeled you with sweet gum balls. They should be outlawed.[/QUOTE

. How about that a reasonable explanation that they produce some of the most varied and beautiful fall colors here in indianapolis that few other trees types seen in indianapolis can beat, many if not most sweet gums in the circle city provide colors ranging from lemon yellow through various shades of orange red burgundy and even purple,....all on the same tree in numerous cases in indianapolis, it is also available in fruitless varieties now so that is another bonus for people like you.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:31 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
[quote=Isleofpalms85;37046501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
why would anybody want to grow a sweet gum tree when there are so many other beautiful choices. I broke some bones in my elbow a few years ago after tripping on sweet gum balls and you haven't lived through pain until your older brother and his friends pummeled you with sweet gum balls. They should be outlawed.[/QUOTE

. How about that a reasonable explanation that they produce some of the most varied and beautiful fall colors here in indianapolis that few other trees types seen in indianapolis can beat, many if not most sweet gums in the circle city provide colors ranging from lemon yellow through various shades of orange red burgundy and even purple,....all on the same tree in numerous cases in indianapolis, it is also available in fruitless varieties now so that is another bonus for people like you.
I'll admit they have great fall color. Where we lived in Orange County, they would hold their color for over a month. But I don't plant anything just for the fall color because it comes and goes so fast. I'm more concerned with what a tree looks like when it's green.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I grew up in KC and we had one. HORRIBLE tree! Besides the sticker balls, the roots tore up a quarter of our back yard.

Living in Denver now, I've never seen one here, even though we're near the same latitude as KC, and much further south than Detroit. I wonder if they don't like higher elevation? Not that I care, because I hate them!

You see them a lot in the Los Angeles area. My guess is because they're about the only tree that turns colors there in Fall. Most deciduous trees, if planted where it never freezes, don't do well or turn colors.
I hike in the Smoky Mountains often, and I've always noticed once you get to the higher elevations (above maybe 3,500ft) the Sweetgums gradually disappear.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
There's a fair amount of Sweet Gums here in the Windsor area.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:08 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,793 times
"Moraine" dooes well on the Niagara Peninsula of Canada. The regular sweetgum is a bit stunted there and leafs out super late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden