Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 09:05 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

I have 3 peach trees in my back acre and a half or so.. Plan to wind up with anywhere from 8 to 20 when I get it all done..

I've planted these trees myself.. They've grown very nicely.. my problem is.. I've gotten peaches twice in the 8 years i've had them in. Now.. the first two years.. They were just too small to really give peaches.. I did get a few off of them those years, but.. I didn't really expect to get anything substantial.

But, 4 of the last 6 years.. We've been hit with a late freeze. The trees generally start blooming in March. And the climate here (Upstate SC).. It seems without fail we start hitting the 70's in early March, then one day.. BOOM.. Below freezing at night. And then come summer.. Not a peach in sight.

I've never put any kind of protection on the trees from the freeze.. Because, every year I think "Ah, it's only going to get CLOSE to freezing..." But.. What would a recommendation to protect the trees be? If I do trash bags over them.. It'll take at least 3 per tree.. Will a simple trash bag actually provide enough protection?

I've heard recommendations to put a smudge pot below them, or even a charcoal grill.. Not exactly an idea i'm fond of.. Leaving a burning fire (Or smoldering) below a tree overnight.

Tree blankets i've looked at, but are oddly fairly hard to find around here..

Just looking for any suggestions. Also.. Experience/preference on planting fruit trees.. I plan to throw in Apple and perhaps cherry trees.. For fruit trees, are you of the plant in fall mind, or plant in spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 10:28 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Your trees need more protection.

Make sure they are well hydrated before any frost.

Actually spraying them with water can help insulate the buds by developing a coating of ice.

Thermodynamics dontcha know.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I'd probably look at a hardier fruit in that climate, or at least look for a hardier variety of peach. There are things you can do, however. Fertilize early with something high in potassium (2nd number, such as 18-51-20) which builds thicker cell walls.
You can also buy antidessicant sprays that provide tolerance up to about 8 degrees colder than without. Such names as FreezPruf and Cropaid. It can get expensive treating an orchard, though.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:58 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'd probably look at a hardier fruit in that climate, or at least look for a hardier variety of peach...
I'd agree with this.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:17 PM

Well.. Remember that SC is the leading producer of Peaches. We've got a TON of orchards around here.. Not sure if I've just got a 'weaker' variety or what.. so, they can certainly be grown in this area, quite well.

The sprays that are discussed.. Read up a bit on them online, and at least the FreezPruf sounds like snake oil.. Anyone have actual experience with them?

Appreciate the thoughts, though.. One that I've recently read about is to stick a couple of 5 gallon buckets of water around the tree.. Which is actually a decent idea for here.. When we get the late freezes here, they're generally only one night and the temps drop to 31 or 32 degrees.. Not like it goes down to well below freezing for days on end.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:28 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
C9 Christmas Lights. Wrap the around the trees, get some exstension cords and you will be good to go.

Make sure they are the white/clear color unless you want perpetual Christmas.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
C9 Christmas Lights. Wrap the around the trees, get some exstension cords and you will be good to go.

Make sure they are the white/clear color unless you want perpetual Christmas.
That is.. So simple it's brilliant. Almost seems TOO simple. That may be one I try out and see how it works. Only question would be whether I can actually find those lights now. Everything has gone energy efficient.. Then when you WANT something that wastes energy through heat loss...

Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Labonte,
You plantd the wrong type of peach trees FOR YOUR AREA.
We have hundreds of orchards where I live, they don't freeze,
they produce.
Your in the upstate, where it will get colder than where I am,
you should be growing the type of peaches the orchard growers where
you are are growing.
If you don't, you won't get many peaches, plain and simple.
Ask them, or go to local nursery and ask, they know.
A nursery that is privately owned, close to your home.
Not a big box store with kids that don't know anything about trees.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:57 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Labonte,
You plantd the wrong type of peach trees FOR YOUR AREA.
We have hundreds of orchards where I live, they don't freeze,
they produce.
Your in the upstate, where it will get colder than where I am,
you should be growing the type of peaches the orchard growers where
you are are growing.
If you don't, you won't get many peaches, plain and simple.
Ask them, or go to local nursery and ask, they know.
A nursery that is privately owned, close to your home.
Not a big box store with kids that don't know anything about trees.
I agree with this post. Choose peach varieties that bloom later; there are MANY to choose from. A good local nurseryman will know what varieties are best for your climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden