Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 42,011 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any responses

My fiance just got a job offer in Atlanta and we are considering it, except that it's such a big decision/change. Currently we live in southern California, which is very diverse (but expensive)... The reason diversity is important is b/c I'm white and he's black... and according to many of our friends moving to the south would not be a "good idea" for an interracial couple / mixed kids..?? If someone could please let me know how true this is, it would be really appreciated.

Also, the county I was told is "nice" is Fayette County (schools, houses, etc...). We have a one year old, so it's very important that we look at schools, parks, etc... Does anyone know of any areas I should research???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 09:09 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
You've gotten some major misinformation on the interracial issue- there are tons of interracial couples here, and it's not a factor in most areas of the metro Atlanta area.

Regarding PTC and Fayette County, the big question is where the prospective job is located- if it's on the south side of town, those are good options- if it's on the north side of town, those are horrible options.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:52 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mrs View Post
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any responses

My fiance just got a job offer in Atlanta and we are considering it, except that it's such a big decision/change. Currently we live in southern California, which is very diverse (but expensive)... The reason diversity is important is b/c I'm white and he's black... and according to many of our friends moving to the south would not be a "good idea" for an interracial couple / mixed kids..?? If someone could please let me know how true this is, it would be really appreciated.

Also, the county I was told is "nice" is Fayette County (schools, houses, etc...). We have a one year old, so it's very important that we look at schools, parks, etc... Does anyone know of any areas I should research???
As an interracial couple, you will be fine in Atlanta and the South. Don't worry!

Plus, the Fayette County area would be great as well...lots of diversity, great schools.

An important question though...where in Atlanta will your fiance be working?

Old 01-11-2008, 07:13 AM

744 posts, read 2,482,977 times
You should have no problem being an interacial couple here in the Fayette County area.
I would not get in the habit of shortening anything to do with the word Peachtree here in the Atlanta area. People will assume you live all over the place ( Peachtree Street, Peachtree Parkway,Peachtree Plaza etc. ) So please refer to it as Peachtree City , if you do move here, to save your self some hassle.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:58 AM

7 posts, read 53,266 times
i am in an interracial relationship and have been for 10 years i am from fayetteville and have no problem we have the most diverse population in the state

Old 01-11-2008, 11:05 AM

8 posts, read 42,011 times
Thanks so much to everyone!!! That's really been our major issue with the move!!! Thanks again )

Old 01-20-2008, 11:05 PM

137 posts, read 739,530 times
So long as you stay out of rural Georgia, I don't think you'll have any type of problem with racial issues. Atlanta has a HUGE African American population and there are tons of "mixed" families. I wouldn't let that issue stop you. Again, stay out of RURAL Georgia, however.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:40 PM

17 posts, read 59,249 times
I would go with Fayetteville. It has better schools. i came out of fayette high. It has cut down on the number of students. But all in all hardly any fights and the teachers are great!!

You have the convinence of the pavilon and other stores. It's only a thirty min comute to ATL depending which route you take.

I could make it to Dekalb in about 35 mins every morning.

Fayetteville has Mccury Park which has soccor field and swings/picnic areas.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:53 PM

315 posts, read 761,262 times
Whoever you have been talking to are dead wrong the south has matured with america so you do not hath to worry about seeing white and black only signs because we are all family now lol. I have never been to cali but from how hig the real estate is there I don't see how anyone could afford it and if I were you I would leave fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta