Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:38 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from 1/3 acre w/trees to a full acre. Unfortunately I'm responsible for both in November. I'm thinking of getting a leaf blower--it's been rake up to now. Is that overkill for a single homeowner? If not are there recommendations on the kind I should get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:05 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Leaf blowers are not just for leaves; there are many uses. I blow out my computers, I blow light snow off my deck and vehicles, I blow dirt out my pickup (both the bed and cab), I blow leaves out of my gutters, I blow dirt out of my garage and many other things I cannot think of right now.

Now the question is what kind of leaf blower do you need. The backpacks are great for very large jobs - but are not that handy for small jobs. The hand held gas blowers are probably the best choice for only one acre - no electric cord and plenty of power. All you need to do is to get the leaves to where you can mow/mulch them. Electric blowers are great for inside areas; like the garage that you don't want fumes. I have all three with my five acres of woods.

PS Stay away from the battery powered - the batteries don't last very long and you'll be disappointed. They are only good for very small jobs.

Last edited by fisheye; 11-16-2014 at 06:18 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 06:25 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Leaf blowers are not just for leaves; there are many uses. I blow out my computers, I blow light snow off my deck and vehicles, I blow dirt out my pickup (both the bed and cab), I blow leaves out of my gutters, I blow dirt out of my garage and many other things I cannot think of right now.

Now the question is what kind of leaf blower do you need. The backpacks are great for very large jobs - but are not that handy for small jobs. The hand held gas blowers are probably the best choice for only one acre - no electric cord and plenty of power. All you need to do is to get the leaves to where you can mow/mulch them. Electric blowers are great for inside areas; like the garage that you don't want fumes. I have all three with my five acres of woods.

PS Stay away from the battery powered - the batteries don't last very long and you'll be disappointed. They are only good for very small jobs.
Thanks for the quick advice. Any brand recommendations? There don't seem to be a lot available in store.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:22 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Is that overkill for a single homeowner?
Not at all. Just about everyone has one in my neighborhood (a very wooded neighborhood).

Quote:
If not are there recommendations on the kind I should get?
Stihl gas.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
...battery powered - the batteries don't last very long and you'll be disappointed
(if you expect them to do more than they are meant to do)...
I'm happy enough with one of these, but I can't do the whole yard at once.
Since I don't often want to do the whole yard at once it works out just fine.
And I didn't want yet another gas engine to take care of.

Quote:
All you need to do is to get the leaves to where you can mow/mulch them.
(or vacuum them up with the grass catcher)
^^This is the point. And a rake will still be needed regardless of blower type.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:14 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Thanks for the quick advice. Any brand recommendations? There don't seem to be a lot available in store.
I'm blessed (IMO) with lots of large trees which means lots of leaves in the fall.

I have a Red Max 62cc backpack style I purchased in '99 and it's awesome. If/when it ever shoots craps I'm going with that brand again.

It's a commercial grade unit.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:42 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
If you have environmental consciousness, you might want to get an electric blower, either corded or not. They pollute much less that gas types. Also, rather than bagging all those leaves, mulch at least some of them to put on your garden beds and/or to add to your compost pile or container.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:45 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Leaf blowers are handy for many applications as others have noted. Is your acre in grass that needs to be mowed anyway? If so, the easiest way to get rid of all those leaves is to mow as usual but with a mulcher attachment. No leaves to bag, and the mulched leaves will decompose and feed your lawn. This method works best if you do this every week as the leaves fall, otherwise you'll clog up your mower engine with too many leaves at once.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:53 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
You have many that swear by Stihl. But I think you can probably get the job done for less money. I had a Toro, that I got as a safety award, and it lasted over twenty years. Now I have a Poulan and have been happy with that - I also have a Toro electric and a backpack (I forget which brand) that I do not use that much. Go to the store, pick the units up and feel how heavy they are or if you feel comfortable with them.

You have many people that want you to pick up the battery powered because of environmental issues or because they are quite. They do not have the power of the gas blowers. You want to get out there and get the job done. You don't want to wait for batteries to charge. Think of a "leaf" blower as just an extension of your lawn mower, when it comes to picking up your leaves. Use the blower and mower together. You just want to move the leaves to where you can mow them. Mow the leaves so your discharge chute sends them into the middle and you can mow over them on the next pass. You really don't need any special mulching blade - re-mowing will mulch your leaves great. You will have less leaves or no leaves to dispose of. It all depends on how many times and how good you get at mulching with the mower.

You will want to pick up ear protectors for use while operating your gas leaf blower. I think they also recommend safety glasses - which I don't use religiously (but I did get a fishhook stuck in my eye - so I might not be an expert on eye protection).

Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I have been using an Echo blower for years and an very happy with it. I bought it because it has good usability ratings and a low noise rating. One of my neighbors has an electric and it is the loudest in the area with a irritating shrill noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden