Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 07:27 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,098,226 times

Advertisements

First and foremost is the thrill of the warm sun restoring my much depleted vitamin D, and generally being surrounded by nature. My wishlist of this years perennial plants have been chosen for the new beds I plan to cut in, so the waiting game begins. Then comes the walk-A-thon! It's a wonder I don't wear ruts throughout my yard searching for the perfect spot to plant a particular flower, shrub, or vine. Just when I think I got it all straight in my tiny pea brain, Ill find another plant I want, which of course changes all the rules. At the end of the day I go to my secluded oasis behind my garage, crack a beer, and give myself an atta-boy whether I deserve it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 07:52 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
We got another 10"s of snow the other day added to the already 2 feet of snow and ice left from other storms so I'm looking forward to seeing the ground and grass in the garden.

When it all does melt I'm looking forward to the daffodils and other flowers emerging from their slumber.
It means Summer is on its way. I also have trains in my backyard and getting those running again is my favorite aspect of the garden.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:56 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I planted some bare root lilacs early 2013 and it looks like there are some buds and I might actually get some flowers on them this year.
I am buying a house and it looks like I'll be moving in just in time to plant whatever I'm going to plant. There is very little landscaping at this house so I have a 1/4 acre bare dirt yard. The previous owner did put in a couple of small areas right in front of the house around the porch and garage. There are a few trees. I've been researching online the appropriate plants for my area...drought resistant, lots of sun and heat etc! I don't know if I'll plant any, or many, veggies this year as I don't know the condition of the dirt there yet. Also, it's just me so how much would I need? The previous owner had a big mulch container and it's pretty full. Last time I was there they had put a large bag of potting soil/manure on top of it. I expect it needs to be mixed up.

I am definitely looking forward to working on this place. Since it's so empty I will be able to do it my way. I see a LOT of rock in my future. lol

Old 03-07-2015, 08:05 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Just retired and moved "Up North" to Michigan in Aug 2014. Since the gardening season was almost over I spent the rest of the summer re-mulching the flower beds and in the fall I planted over 900 bulbs...Spring should be very interesting because in addition to the bulbs I don't know what other spring surprises are planted here from the previous owner!!! Can't wait!!!
Are these deer/critter resistant? Good luck! I am in the woods and resigned myself to having to fence plantings and have foiled the deer but I lapsed on dispatching a rabbit that has took up residence and devastated plants that have taken years to grow, no to mention the expense. Squirrels and other rodents will find most bulbs. I am not a big fan of daffodils but they and crocuses seem to be the only ones that survive. I have two bulb planting drills and have wasted many $$'s on bulbs.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
I am looking forward to planting some annuals: I love the colors in the spring and summer. Most of all I am looking forward to my attempt at cantainer gardening. It better work, it is cosing me my entire savings I think. Well mayber not that much, but it isn;t cheap to get started. That's for sure.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:04 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,636 times
I have built platforms on casters for a few large containers with cages that can be moved to follow the limited sun here. Because we are traveling more, watering is the next issue. Most years mother nature provides enough moisture but containers are more needy.
(in above post......took up residence,eh?)

Old 03-07-2015, 12:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,780 times
Fresh garden tomatoes! I'm so sick of the rock hard flavorless plastic stuff we have to buy all winter.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
I have built platforms on casters for a few large containers with cages that can be moved to follow the limited sun here. Because we are traveling more, watering is the next issue. Most years mother nature provides enough moisture but containers are more needy.
(in above post......took up residence,eh?)
This is always a worry, the watering, even in a regular garden. I am just hoping we get the rain in late spring and summer we don't have now and didn't have last year.

Snowtired: I know what you mean about the tomatoes, we did a couple of fair ones about 2 weeks ago, but that has been it. They look good, they taste anything but good.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:00 PM

461 posts, read 749,034 times
I can't wait to have some fresh herbs and lettuce. And cukes and squash. I plant a bunch more stuff, but these are what I'm dreaming about while looking out at the snow here in Pittsburgh, lol.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,409,524 times
The smell of hyacinths
Self sown aquilegia!
new plants!

peonies in bloom
Fragrant lilies
hardy bananas

fresh fruit
fresh lettuce
fresh herbs

privacy
winter squash!
fall color
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden