Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 02:04 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,583 times

Advertisements

So I have a Cherry Tree that has "cherry leaf spot" the last two summers my leaves come in as normal then about mid-june they all turn yellow and fall out and the fruit shrivels up.

I've been trying to find out how to treat it online and I'm not understanding.

I need to know what to do to make the leaves not fall off this year.

I'm trying to avoid paying an arbrorist ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 11:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
An arborist is not going to fix your problem anyway. This disease is a fungus which overwinters in leaf littler laying on the ground, and when conditions become favorable the following year during times of moisture, humidity, and temperatures, the tree leaves become infected again. The infected leaves then drop to the ground continuing the cycle of contamination. And so the cycle carries on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_leaf_spot

Old 03-17-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
An arborist is not going to fix your problem anyway. This disease is a fungus which overwinters in leaf littler laying on the ground, and when conditions become favorable the following year during times of moisture, humidity, and temperatures, the tree leaves become infected again. The infected leaves then drop to the ground continuing the cycle of contamination. And so the cycle carries on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_leaf_spot
Thanks, I googled most the cause information what I'm trying to find out tho is how to treat it so it doesn't come back. I raked up the leaves when they all started falling off in the late summer but I did that the year before too and it still came back I'm just wondering if there is something I can spray on my tree to make it not happen again and I can't seem to find out information on how to do it ... Anyone?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Perhaps you fail to understand that spraying the tree is not going to fix the problem.

This is a widespread fungus, cherries are particularly susceptible to this fungus, and even if you practice good gardening on your property if there are other cherry trees in the area this fungus will still be present. It is spread by airborne spores. Air that may come from outside of your property.

The real problem is that you live in an area which is conducive to the growth of this fungus, and you have a tree which is susceptible to this common fungus. So chances are that cherry trees in such an area will be infected sooner or later. Or every year.

What I'm trying to tell you here, is that your tree is likely to be sick every year. Spraying it will not prevent it from being sick. - The obvious conclusion is that a persistently sick plant will not be healed by some kind of spray. Persistently sick plants are usually not something that you would wish to have in your yard.

The cherry tree IS the problem. Consider removing it and planting a different kind of tree.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 AM

Boooooo Someone told me to contact my local cooperative extension agent ... I've got a message in to them. maybe they can suggest something to put in it's place that's more resistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden