Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 10:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Oh yeah, they're almost all still attached and do appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately, my decoration skills on a scale of 1 to 10 are something slightly less than zilch point nada.

Otherwise, will return them to mother earth in an area of the yard reserved for that purpose (and where the cardinals can't get them!), instead of as trash.
Put them in the trash, they cant sprout if they're under 50' of dirt in a landfill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 11:43 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Despite it's spring flowering beauty & although it's not really considered a noxious or invasive weed/plant in the same sense as some of the plants discussed here, I nevertheless consider the Redbud tree to be an unwelcome guest in our yard.
We are in the process of removing 2 large, thick-trunked Redbuds that grew too big & took to clogging the downspouts with their leaves & seed pods.
Other than the downspout problem, the biggest downside to our Redbuds has been their extreme effectiveness at sprouting tiny seedlings every where. The little "buggers" are difficult to pull out & have tenaciously strong root systems, especially for seedling-sized trees. They are such a pain to deal with!
Redbuds are natives, not invasives, but of course they may volunteer in unwanted places, which seems to be your case. It sounds like your redbuds are much too close to your house.

Instead, plant redbuds away from buildings and in front of evergreens or other trees with darker foliage - their bright pink blooms will really stand out, as will their heart-shaped leaves, whether they are spring and summer green, or autumn yellow. Redbuds typically are smaller trees, though I do know of some which reached second-story window height - there was one such outside my eleventh grade English class's window, and it was a beauty.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I see honeysuckle vine, but I am surprised Amur Honeysuckle (bush honeysuckle) isn't on the list. That stuff sucks, totally destroys mile upon square mile of forest.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:14 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
Hmm, we have Nadina domestica in our flowerbeds, planted by the previous owner. I've never had an issue with them being "invasive".

Bradford pears are invasive? I had no idea. They are everywhere because it's fast growing. We have 6 lining our driveway, again courtesy of the previous owners. Once they die though, we will be replacing them with something else.
If it's not too late, make sure you prune the Bradford Pears. Left to their own growth pattern, long before they die, huge branches will most likely split off the tree.
We had this happen to a 25 yr old BP last spring, and it took out some fence. The wood is very hard and heavy, so it was a huge pain to saw up the limb.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 11:25 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If it's not too late, make sure you prune the Bradford Pears. Left to their own growth pattern, long before they die, huge branches will most likely split off the tree.
We had this happen to a 25 yr old BP last spring, and it took out some fence. The wood is very hard and heavy, so it was a huge pain to saw up the limb.

We don't prune our Bradford pears except to limb them up in the late winter/early spring so vehicles don't hit the lower branches. Fortunately we have a very large, hilly yard and the trees are lining the driveway but are near nothing else so if a branch breaks, it won't fall on anything except the ground. As much as I don't like to see trees bite the dust, I won't be disappointed when these do.

Way back when I lived in Dallas, I had a townhome and my neighbor planted Bradford pears because he wanted "instant shade". I was surprised the HOA never said anything. Well, what do you know, all of them split and broke. Fortunately none of them fell on my place or vehicle but they did on his. All the trees were cut down after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden